Auburn Vegetarians Share Their Meat-Free Lives

Auburn students are used to grabbing hamburgers, munching on turkey sandwiches and slurping down spaghetti as they go through their day-to-day lives. Take meat out of the routine and many students' meal plans would suffer from a harsh jolt.

But several Auburn students have become vegetarians for different reasons.

Doug White, a professor of nutrition and food science and department head, explained what vegetarianism is and how it can be divided into different levels.

"Vegan is the most extreme, where no animal products at all are consumed," White said. "Lactovegetarians will consume dairy products, while lactoovovegetarians will consume dairy products and eggs."

Christi Talbert, a senior in nutrition-dietetics, has been a lactoovovegetarian for nearly two years. She became a vegetarian after a two week fast on fresh fruit and vegetable juices and did not desire meat anymore.

"I (also) had read about CAFOs (concentrated animal feeding operations) and was uncomfortable supporting an industry that was only detrimental to the environment," Talbert said.

Libby Waits, a senior in marketing, is a pescatarian, which means she will consume fish, but no other type of meat.

"I've been a pescatarian since December," Waits said. "I'm not an activist for animals. I mean I love animals, but I gave meat up because I never liked meat in general."

White outlines some of the health benefits to being a vegetarian. One benefit is a plant-based diet containing no cholesterol since cholesterol is only found in animal products.

"More importantly, plant-based diets contain little saturated fat," White said. "A diet high in saturated fat is linked with high blood cholesterol and high LDL levels, which are associated with atherosclerosis and cardiovascular disease."

White explained that the soluble fiber found in nuts and beans decreases blood cholesterol levels and may slow the absorption of glucose. Slowing the absorption of glucose lowers the need for insulin to bring blood glucose back down.

"I believe it is debatable, but some people have suggested that insulin promotes fat synthesis and increases hunger," White said.

Talbert noticed an immediate benefit after cutting meat out of her diet.

"At first, I noticed an increased endurance in my workouts and a sense of feeling lighter and cleaner," Talbert said.

Waits also felt a change as a result of becoming a pescatarian.

"I essentially feel pretty healthy," Waits said. "I do feel a lot more energetic not eating meat."

However, White also points out the risks to eliminating all animal products. Plant proteins, or incomplete proteins, do not contain all the essential amino acids.

Vegetables and legumes are low in the amino acid methionine, while grains and nuts are low in the amino acid lysine. Therefore, for vegans to obtain all the essential amino acids, they should pair complementary proteins, such as beans and rice, White said.

"For me, it has been effortless to combine proteins that contain several amino acids that are complementary," Talbert said. "Black beans and rice are a favorite."

White also explained choosing foods fortified with calcium such as soy milk, orange juice or tofu can compensate for diet without dairy. For vegans, White recommended taking vitamin B12 which is only found in animal products.

"Our bodies can store about a four year supply of vitamin B12," White said. "However, as this is depleted, a type of anemia can occur that leads to paralysis and eventual death."

White thinks it is a good idea for vegans and some other types of vegetarians to take a mulit-vitamin and mineral supplement.

"I have taken B12 on occasion, just to make sure I am not missing any essentials I am not getting from my diet, but other than that I don't take anything," Talbert said.

The one thing most omnivores wonder about though, and what most vegetarians are tired of answering is: How does one get enough protein?

"The importance of protein is severely overstated in this country," Talbert said. "As a culture, we consume at least twice the amount of it that our bodies truly require."

Neither girl said they had too much trouble eating out in Auburn as vegetarians.

"Eating out vegetarian is easy if there is a salad bar," Talbert said. "I eat Subway, Momma G's and Pita Pit for cheap salads and hot veggie sandwiches."

Waits also has Auburn favorites for vegetarian fare.

"I love Pita Pit and my all-time favorite is Nihon's," Waits said. "I work at Juliana Tokyo's which is also a good place."

Both girls said they are happy with their decision to eliminate meat from their diets.

"It isn't for everyone, and we all have to respect where another person is in his or her life," Talbert said. "I believe that you must live by your passions and convictions, and mine have led to a fun, creative way of eating."

Share and discuss “Auburn Vegetarians Share Their Meat-Free Lives” on social media.