Blount County brings quilting tradition to new members

The Blount County Quilters' Guild is a non-profit organization made up of members who all share the same passion -- quilting.

"This guild was formed in 1988 with the goal of promoting the art and quality of quilting through friendship, knowledge and encouragement to others," said Joyce Foster, president of The Blount County Quilters' Guild.

The quilters' guild has about 45 members, ranging from teens to 89 years old that are both male and female and the guild is always open to accepting new members interested in creating quilts.

The group of quilters does other things in addition to stitching and sewing pieces of fabrics into unique patterns, which ultimately end up as quality, handmade quilts.

The group generously donates the money raised from events to local charities.

Each year The Blount County Quilters' Guild has a quilt show as a fundraiser to raise money for charitable service projects.

"The money we raise goes to various charities and for three $1,000 scholarships for high school seniors in Blount County," Foster said. "We award money to St. Jude's hospital, Children's Hospital, the animal shelter, Christmas for a family, Oneonta Art Council and maybe a few more I have forgotten."

This year the Blount County quilt show will be Oct. 23 and 24 at Palisades Park from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Admission to the quilt show is $3 and will feature quilts from several different vendors in two different buildings.

"We have 24 different categories of quilts," Foster said. "Hand quilted, machine quilted, baby, lap, embroidered, appliqueed, antique and many more; we usually have about 150 items to be displayed."

In addition to local quilts, patriotic wall hangings from all over the U.S. will be on display at the show.

The patriotic display of quilts will pay tribute to and honor servicemen and women of the past and those who are currently in the military.

The proceeds from the rental of the display will be used to provide quilts for those injured in the line of duty.

"The patriotic wall hanging display was obtained from Buckboard Quilts," Foster said. "We have 45 patriotic quilts that will be on display. Each one has a story to tell about the reason for the quilt."

There is a bit of sentimental attachment to quilting for Julie Honea, junior in elementary education.

"I think quilting is a lost trait," Honea said. "There is a whole generation of girls that are losing touch with a part of our heritage."

She doesn't just want to do it as a hobby to pick up.

"I have a quilt that my great-grandmother made my dad when he was 12 years old, and it really goes everywhere with me," Honea said. "It has been to many concerts, the park, and sometimes I just sleep on it outside."

Kelley Holmquist, a junior in landscape horticulture, wants to learn to quilt just so she can have a quilt for herself.

"My grandmother quilts, and she has promised me she was going to make a quilt since I was a baby," Holmquist said. "Everyone else in my family has one except me; my cousin's new baby got one before I did."

Holmquist has looked into taking public classes that teach people how to quilt.

"I have actually seen at Hobby Lobby where you can go and take a quilting class," Holmquist said.

She already has the design picked out for her quilt, even though she has not yet mastered the craft.

"Some of my friends from home have a quilt made out of all their old T-shirts from high school," Holmquist said. "I would like to have a quilt like that to put my shirts to use that I don't wear anymore. After college, I would like to make one with all my sorority T-shirts."

The Quilters' Cottage is in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains.

For students interested, there is more information on quilting and The Blount County Quilters' Guild annual quilt show that can be found at blountcountyquiltersguild.com.

Share and discuss “Blount County brings quilting tradition to new members” on social media.