Bonnaroo: 'What a Long, Strange Trip It's Been'

Four days, 25 shows, 16 hours of sleep, zero showers and more drugs than I have even heard of.

That, my friends, is a quick snap shot of Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival.

Bonnaroo is a four-day and three-night music and arts festival in Coffee County, Tenn.

There were 98 musical shows and an assortment of comedy, movies and art.

We arrived in Tennessee on Wednesday night and slept in a parking lot so that we could get up early and get in line.

After waking up at 6:30 a.m., we drove to the line and waited.

Waited for four hours.

Once we arrived, we drove to our spot and set up our tents.

This was a little difficult in 100 degree weather so humid it felt like it was already raining.

Since it was only 10 a.m., we just sat in the car, napped, met our neighbors and waited for the music to start.

We packed up all our stuff in our backpacks and purses and at 5 p.m. the music started.

On Thursday alone we saw seven full shows.

I listened to many artists I had never heard of and my music world was blown to pieces.

We started walking back to our tent Thursday night when the rains came.

It started raining cats and dogs.

We were forced into the car because that was the only place we could take comfort.

After the rain let up, I crawled into my tent only to find my air mattress soaked and water coming through the little hole at the top of the tent.

I thought I was going through Chinese water torture.

I finally got to bed at 1:30 a.m., despite the music blaring around me and water dripping through my tent.

Friday had been the day I was looking forward to the most.

I woke up about 9 a.m. and went to brush my teeth.

The Tennessee sun was out and beating down on us. The day was glorious.

We packed up all our stuff for the day, expecting not to come back until after 2 a.m.

The day started off with Gomez, one of my favorite bands.

As the day progressed it just kept getting better, as I got to see Grace Potter and the Nocturnals, Al Green and David Byrne.

What more could anyone ask for?

However, the best was still yet to come.

Phish.

The moment everyone had been waiting for.

The show was absolutely incredible.

I mostly just listened to the music and didn't stand because my legs were not working anymore and I was exhausted.

It was still incredible.

After sleeping for a few hours that night, I woke up to a new day and new music.

I had learned a little on Friday, too: sit down as much as possible.

Saturday was a great day.

I sat at one stage for most of the day and that was my lifesaver.

I had to save up my energy to see my favorite band, Wilco, and the "Boss."

All of that sitting paid off when I was able to enjoy Bruce Springsteen and soak up every moment of the environment.

There was a failed attempt at trying to see moe. and MGMT because the shows started at 2 a.m., but a good night's sleep was in order.

Sunday was another beautiful day, and my body was still sunburned from all the other beautiful days.

Sunday was also the day it ended, this epic journey through music.

However, I wasn't going to let the sad feeling of the end ruin fabulous music.

We got to hear and enjoy Citizen Cope, Andrew Bird, Snoop Dogg and, again, Phish.

This time, I was smart enough to take a five hour energy shot before the event. This made all the difference in concert-enjoying experience.

Phish was even more amazing than the first time.

It made the experience that more exciting because there were glow sticks flying everywhere throughout the whole show.

And, did I mention Bruce Springsteen came out and played "Glory Days" with Trey Anastasio?

It was truly epic.

After four days, 25 shows, 16 hours of sleep and no showers, my music world was blown away and I saw things I will never see again.

Bonnaroo: an experience of a lifetime.

Share and discuss “Bonnaroo: 'What a Long, Strange Trip It's Been'” on social media.