Office of Sustainability Teaches Conservation Methods

With global warming fading into the background behind healthcare and the economy, the Office of Sustainability began hosting weekly talks on energy consumption and conservation last Sunday.

David Newton, retired faculty member from the Harrison School of Pharmacy, spoke to a small crowd of community members on alternatives to the mass consumption of fossil fuels on which the entire world has come to depend.

Newton said he was inspired to volunteer for this talk after reading Tom Friedman's book, "Hot, Flat and Crowded: Why We Need a Green Revolution and How It Can Renew America."

"It wasn't full of a lot of happiness," Newton said. "I want to convey some optimism and show that if we set our minds to it, we can change things."

During his talk, Newton went over eight of the most viable alternative energy sources, explaining both the advantages and disadvantages of each one and how they benefit the planet.

While each alternative is costly, they create energy sources out of both renewable resources like manure, as well as naturally occurring energy sources like the wind and sun.

However, Newton stressed throughout his presentation that the most beneficial thing that can be done to help save the planet is energy conservation. And energy conservation starts at home.

According to the Environmental Defense Fund's Web site, "The energy we use at home accounts for about a fifth of U.S. global warming pollution."

Newton suggested setting hot water heaters to 120 degrees Fahrenheit, turning off lights when not in use, using compact fluorescent bulbs, rack drying most laundry and using low flow shower heads.

Sarah Goggans, a senior in English, said she tries to be as energy conscious as possible at home.

"I always try to turn off the TV and lights when I leave, and I make a point to buy the energy saving light bulbs," Goggans said. "Not only do I help reduce my carbon footprint, but I also save big on my power bill."

Matthew Williams, program manager for the Office of Sustainability, said the University is also working to reduce its energy consumption as well as implement some alternative energy sources.

"We have got an enormous amount of research in biofuels and biomass, we have people doing fuel cell research, and we have an enormous solar program," Williams said. "Auburn has got the students and the brainpower to really do this."

More specifically, he said the University is researching how to turn the waste at the vet school into energy, as well as the potential for solar panels on campus rooftops and using thermal energy to heat the swimming pools.

In fall 2008, President Jay Gogue signed the American College and University Presidents' Climate Commitment, which aims "to address global warming by garnering institutional commitments to neutralize greenhouse emissions and to accelerate the research and educational efforts of higher education to equip society to re-stabilize the Earth's climate," according to the movement's Web site.

By signing this, Gogue committed the University to doing a greenhouse gas inventory for campus as well as come up with a plan for addressing these emissions.

The inventory was just completed this month, Williams said, and plans are under way to begin looking at ways to improve.

However, saving energy on campus is not just up to the administration.

As a way of getting students involved, Williams said the Office of Sustainability will host the second annual Sustainable Resource Competition in February.

This is a competition between the residence halls on campus about who can save the most energy.

During the first competition, the participating residence halls saved a combined $8,500, Williams said.

For more energy saving tips or for resources for students and faculty, visit the Office of Sustainability's Web site at www.auburn.edu/sustainability.

The next community talk will be Sunday, Oct. 11, at 3 p.m. in the Auburn City meeting room.

It will feature a presentation from Norbert Lechner, a retired professor from the College Of Architecture.

His talk is titled, "Savings in Building Design."

Share and discuss “Office of Sustainability Teaches Conservation Methods” on social media.