Sophomore leads Equestrian through fall

Despite being a sophomore, Grace Socha is a leader in and out of the barn.

Two weeks ago, the Auburn Equestrian team went up against Texas A&M University. Socha managed to defeat Jackie O'Connell in the Equitation over Fences event with a score of 89-72. Auburn won the overall game.

She was named MVP of the meet.

Head coach Greg Williams contributes Socha's accomplishments to her humor and serious demeanor.

"She's just a sophomore, but she's been an incredible rider and always keeps up a great attitude and she's a joy to have around," Williams said. "One thing that's different about Grace is how she can keep her humor up during the week, but she gets dead serious on gameday."

Socha said she began her career at the age of 2 when she was introduced to the sport by her parents.

Socha does her best to stay focused when it comes to competing and when it comes to keeping the equestrian team together.

"Personally, I just try to ride my best all week and stay in a good positive attitude and not stress too much and just think about what I need to do to be the best I can," Socha said. "As for the team, we just try to work together and be supportive and keep a good attitude. We have so much fun together. We're like a big family. We're all like sisters. We have a great time together."

The whole equestrian team motivates each other to work hard and win, Socha said.

Socha said although she achieved success before her collegiate career, she has had some of her best riding moments since joining the Auburn Equestrian team.

"As far as on the team, when we were at Oklahoma State, I had one of the best rides," Socha said. "It was so much fun. Before the team, the summer of 2008, at a horse show, I had a big win there."

Her love for equestrian is matched by her love for Auburn.

"I love this town," Socha said. "When I came on my recruiting trip, I looked around and I knew that this is the place where I want to be. Just the people, the town, the school, I love everything."

When Socha is not training, she and her teammate sophomore Maggie McAlary, spend their time taking care of the team horses.

Socha said she and McAlary have history with each other.

"We rode together as juniors outside the team," Socha said. "We didn't interact that much. Now that we're together on the team, we just really have good energy together and we're great friends and we support each other and I love being around her and I trust her input. We vibe off of each other really well. We both encourage each other. She always has really good advice so I can always go to her."

McAlary said she was proud of Socha's accomplishments in the ring so far this season.

"She always brings a real positive attitude to not only workout, but practice," McAlary said. "She's always willing to encourage the whole team and she's also extremely talented. She definitely deserves it."

McAlary said Socha is at her best when she is competing.

"The thing I like about Grace the most in the arena is not only is she extremely competitive and she also brings a fun aspect to it," McAlary said. "Even though we are all trying to win and it's really scary, she still lightens the mood."

Socha and the rest of the team have three more meets this semester and will resume competing in spring 2010.

Share and discuss “Sophomore leads Equestrian through fall” on social media.