David Crayton/ Staff Writer

The Auburn Plainsman
Campus

Auburn Biological Sciences Sells Clownfish

Two University biologists are selling ornamental fish cultured from the Red Sea.The sale is being organized by Nanette Chadwick of biological sciences and graduate student Joey Szczebak.The department is selling anemone fish, which are also called clownfish.Chadwick said people will buy the fish because they are unique."Our fish were born in aquaria, and so they are acclimated and used to aquarium life and do not experience the transition shock of wild-caught fish," Chadwick said.

The Auburn Plainsman
News

Labor Department reports 600,000 people jobless

A report released by the Labor Department shows jobless rates dropping as a result of workers not searching for jobs.The number of workers reported by the department is 600,000.According to the department, the jobless rates could rise while the economy is recovering and more people go back to seeking jobs. Housing and manufacturing jobs were hit the hardest with the jobless rates.

The Auburn Plainsman
News

On the Sidelines: Announcer Experiences Dream Job

Ric Smith's voice booms over a stadium full of fans as he announces the tribulations of Auburn football.His voice can be recognized by any Auburn football fan.Smith has been announcing for three seasons, starting in 2006.For Smith, announcing football games is a personal satisfaction."It's a great honor to be a part of Auburn football," Smith said.

The Auburn Plainsman
Sports

Auburn Cross Country Places Top 10 at SEC Championships

Auburn Cross Country team traveled to Oxford, Miss., for the SEC Championships Saturday.The men's team earned third place and the women's team placed seventh.The championships involved familiar competition, including Alabama, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Tennessee, Georgia, Kentucky and Mississippi State.On the men's side, seniors Felix Kiboiywo and Jean-Pierre Weerts placed third and fourth, respectively, while junior Ben Cheruiyot came in fifth.Head coach Mark Carroll praised his team's performance."Overall, it went very well," Carroll said.

The Auburn Plainsman
News

Study identifies 5 types of friends to avoid

In college and the world at large, friends are around to provide support and lend a helping hand.There are, however, certain friendships to avoid. A recent CNN.com article outlined five types of friends to avoid.The five types are drama queen, Nurse Betty, lady-hater, the critic and the leg humper.The drama queen likes to freak out; Nurse Betty likes to help and heal; the lady-hater is always jealous; the critic criticizes no matter what; and the leg humper is always out to steal attention.

The Auburn Plainsman
Sports

Cross Country finish 6th, 23rd at Pre-Nationals

Auburn Cross Country team finished strong Saturday at the 2009 Pre-Nationals which was hosted by Indiana State University.The men managed to finish in sixth place while the women finished 23rd.The team competed against major competition such as in-state rival Alabama and SEC rival Florida.The top two performers of the men's team were junior Ben Cheruiyot and senior Felix Kiboiywo.

The Auburn Plainsman
Campus

Black Student Union Hosts Freestyle and Fish Fry

The Black Student Union and the National Pan-Hellenic Council hosted the Freestyle, Fish, and Fun event in the Auburn University Student Center Monday.This event hosted to a gathering of students who went to have fun and eat free food."The purpose of the Freestyle, Fish, Fun and Stroll Off is basically a social thing that we do with NPHC for everyone to come together after midterms and just come have a nice time having food, and we also have a contest with the Greeks," said Shaquoya Williams, administrative vice president of the BSU.

More articles »