Black Friday Attracts Early Risers

One night of the year students set their alarm clocks for 3 a.m., not in preparation for a test, but in hopes of bringing home loads of new clothes, electronics and Christmas gifts.

Black Friday is the biggest shopping day of the year.

It is the day after Thanksgiving, Nov. 27, and most stores offer huge sales, opening early to draw in the crowds.

This year, a variety of stores in Auburn are participating, including Hastings, Old Navy and CVS.

"We are having some insanely good deals this year," said David Hampton, general manager at Hastings Entertainment. "It's going to blow away last year."

Hampton said Black Friday is the biggest opportunity for stores such as Hastings to bring in customers.

Hastings is having a 4-hour sale and a 6-hour sale in addition to its all-day sales.

As an entertainment store, Hastings will have competitive deals on big name games such as Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, all Rock Band titles and Left 4 Dead 2, Hampton said.

Hastings will open one hour early, at 8 a.m., to provide for the expected oncoming rush of shoppers.

Snuggies, iPod Touch's, Blu-Ray players and TV series will also be discounted.

"Black Friday is our biggest chance to impress and have fun," Hampton said.

Hampton said his favorite things about Black Friday are the crowds, intensity and pace, but scheduling and preparation prove challenging, especially with the Iron Bowl later that day.

If clothes shopping sounds more exciting than video games, apparel stores such as Old Navy are opening as early as 3 a.m.

"Typically, we have jeans, graphic tees and sweaters on sale for the Black Friday event," said Isaac McKeithen, senior in history and merchandising specialist at Old Navy in TigerTown.

Black Friday is the official start of the holiday shopping season, McKeithen said.

"It gives a lot of excitement to both the shopper and the worker," McKeithen said. "It's a high energy work day."

For more general merchandise, try Wal-Mart or Target, both of which have already begun advertising.

CVS hasn't released its Black Friday deals yet, but it is sure to have some big sales, said Glenda Tuel, photo lab supervisor at the new CVS in Opelika.

Some students are preparing for Black Friday shopping frenzies as well.

Erin Gibbs, senior in Spanish and English, said she was going to Omaha, Neb., to visit her sister, but they are sure to get some shopping done.

"It's kind of crazy, in a really fun way," Gibbs said. "You get to run through a store and get exactly what you want and you don't have to feel bad about cutting people off."

Last year, Gibbs said she waited outside a Bass Pro Shop at 4 a.m. to pick up some GPSs for Christmas presents.

"It's an exciting time to spend with friends and family doing something you don't normally get to do," Gibbs said.

Gibbs suggested shopping at malls, department stores and discount stores, such as Ross and Kohls, because they are always good places to look for deals.

"I would love to be a professional shopper," Gibbs said.

Crowds, long lines and cranky shoppers have some students unwilling to leave their bedrooms on Black Friday.

Arianne Murphree, junior in English, said she doesn't plan to go shopping this year.

"Me and my mom and my aunt used to always go every year," Murphree said. "I never bought anything."

Murphree said the bargains were tempting, but the people made her want to stay home.

"I went to Circuit City with my brother once, because he wanted a TV, and it was like three in the morning," Murphree said. "And there were already people there, which was the worst part."

The overbearing crowds sometime prove too much for just one day of shopping and many do not feel the long lines are worth the extra cash.

"It's just crazy how many people are out," Tuel said. "I'd rather just pay $5 more for something."

Share and discuss “Black Friday Attracts Early Risers” on social media.