Emily Clever/ Staff Writer

The Auburn Plainsman
News

Black Friday Attracts Early Risers

One night of the year students set their alarm clocks for 3 a.m., not in preparation for a test, but in hopes of bringing home loads of new clothes, electronics and Christmas gifts.Black Friday is the biggest shopping day of the year.It is the day after Thanksgiving, Nov.

The Auburn Plainsman
News

Auburn Public Library takes part in National Gaming Day

Libraries, which are typically associated with reading level quiet, are embracing the louder world of video gaming.The American Library Association is promoting "National Gaming Day," Saturday, Nov. 14., sponsored by Hasbro.The Auburn Public Library (APL) held their first gaming night Thursday because they weren't able to do so Saturday, said Eve Kneeland, the head of youth services.The event was open to the general public, but geared toward teenagers.

The Auburn Plainsman
Campus

AUBURN HOMECOMING: Candidates, Community and Alumni Walk in Homecoming Spirit March

High-pitched cheers blended with the sounds of marching band brass and percussion at Friday night's spirit march.University members of sororities and fraternities waved balloons, signs and banners to show off their school spirit as they waited for the parade to start in front of Parker Hall.The march was free and open to the public, and festivities began at 4:45 p.m.

The Auburn Plainsman
Sports

Dr. Ray Groover Named 2009 Walter Gilbert Award Recipient at Homecoming

Dr. Ray Groover received the 2009 Walter Gilbert Award at the Auburn Homecoming football game Saturday."It is extremely honorable," Ray said.Ray, who graduated from Auburn in 1961, still holds the records for the most free throws made (17) and attempted (21) in a basketball game."Dr. Ray Groover is a complete Auburn man," said Auburn Athletics Director Jay Jacobs in a release.

The Auburn Plainsman
Campus

Students Celebrate Under Their Masks

Auburn University's Gay-Straight Alliance ended its first pride week with a ball, a masquerade ball that is.AGSA hosted a Diversity Gala titled, "Under the Mask" Friday at the Auburn Unitarian Universalist Fellowship.In the spirit of Halloween, the theme for the gala was "Carnevil" and people were encouraged to come dressed as anything interesting, whether it be a costume, strange or even formal wear."Any excuse to dress up and go out will get me, but add in supporting a cause I care about, and I'm sure to be there," said Tanner Forks, junior in theater and psychology and a member of AGSA.All proceeds raised went to the Point Foundation.Point Foundation is the national LGBT scholarship fund."My favorite part of the gala was probably getting to see Blame Sydney play for the first time," Forks said.

The Auburn Plainsman
News

New skate park planned for early 2011

Plans for a skate park in the Auburn area were approved by the Auburn City Council Tuesday.The park will be located on a four acre plot of land at 1901 East Glenn Avenue, near the new Samford intersection and the airport, said Greg Darden, authorized representative for Design Plaza LLC and development coordinator for Donald H. Allen LLC, who is overseeing the project.The park will include a skating area of about one acre. The skating area will provide BMX ramps as well as traditional skateboarding equipment, Darden said.

The Auburn Plainsman
News

New sweetener hits market, gives alternative to sugar

Sugar is sweet, but agave is sweeter.Agave nectar is an alternative sweetener for people with high blood sugar.Agave is a blue to teal plant found in the Southwestern United States and Mexico. It is related to the lily and the yucca, but resembles a cactus.Agave nectar is extracted from the core of the plant, which can be used as a sweetener."There are three types of sugars that occur naturally: fructose, glucose, and sucrose," said Adam Diaz, a senior in nutrition and dietetics.

The Auburn Plainsman
Sports

Women 'Lax it Up' in South Carolina

Auburn Club Women's Lacrosse Team traveled to Clemson, S.C., for the Southern Comfort Tournament.Auburn beat Elon 6-5 in its first game as a team Saturday at 3 p.m.The team lost to Clemson 11-4 and 4-3 Saturday and Sunday, respectively.Virginia Tech, last year's national champions, went on to win the tournament."We beat (Clemson) last year to go to the championship in double overtime," said co-captain Liz Boyd, a senior in economics and supply chain management who has been playing lacrosse for seven years.As a result of the upset, Clemson was its biggest rival at the tournament, Boyd said."Saturday, (Clemson) just got a lead on us," said Meredith Noulis, a defensive co-captain and senior in human development and family studies who has been playing lacrosse since middle school.

More articles »