Head of Aircraft Company Speaks to Auburn Aviators

Thursday night kicked off Homecoming festivities for Auburn Aviation Management.

Jack J. Pelton, chairman, president and CEO of Cessna Aircraft Company, spoke at the Lowder Business Building at 7:30 p.m. Students and faculty gathered to listen to Pelton speak about his experiences in the industry and the Cessna business.

"Cessna planes are essential to our training as professional pilots here at Auburn," said Doug Leiser, senior in professional flight.

Leiser said the flight education program at Auburn uses Cessna model planes in student training, and he said having Pelton speak on campus was an honor.

Cessna is the leader in worldwide manufacturing of general aviation aircraft. More than 187,000 airplanes have been produced since the company's creation in 1927.

Pelton joined Cessna in November 2000, serving as senior vice president.

He supervised the engineering and product development aspect of the company, testing aircraft development and design through experimental test flight.

In 2003, Pelton became president and chief executive officer.

Prior to working with Cessna, Pelton worked with Boeing, formerly known as Douglas Aircraft, and also served as senior vice president of engineering and programs at Fairchild Dornier in Germany.

Pelton is a well-known pilot in the aviation industry. In 2007, he received the Kansas Chamber of Commerce Ad Astra Award, making him Kansas's most influential business leader.

In 2008, he was recognized as one of the industry's top accolades, being named the Aviation Week Laurel for Business and General Aviation.

Soon after, Pelton earned the Freedom of Flight award, which is the Experimental Aircraft Association's highest honor.

Pelton is a former chairman of the General Aviation Manufacturers Association and currently serves as a board member.

He is chairman of the Flight Operations Policy committee and serves on the Associate Member Advisory Board of the National Business Aviation Association. He is also on the board of directors for the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum and the Corporate Angel Network.

Pelton obtained his commercial pilot's license with instrument, multi-engine and seaplane ratings.

He also has ratings in Citation business jets including the Citation X and a single pilot rating in the Citation Mustang.

Pelton spoke about the economic recession and its effect on the industry. He said across the industry, production rates have been cut. Since the downfall, Pelton has worked to restructure Cessna.

Pelton said the company has already begun to see changes and there have been trends that point to economic prosperity.

Cessna said he expects to increase aircraft sales within the next two years and for the economy to return to normal by 2011.

"I really enjoyed Mr. Pelton's speech," said Sarah White, junior in marketing. "I'm not a flight education student, but I was interested in what he was speaking about. I had no idea the aviation industry was struggling so bad."

The Homecoming festivities continued Friday and Saturday. Friday, the Aviation Management Advisory Board inducted three new members: Ben Boston, with Chick-fil-A Aviation; Steve Inabinet, executive vice president and manager of Commerce Overseas Corporation; and Art Morris, director of the Dothan Regional Airport.

Saturday, students were invited to a reunion tailgate. At the tailgate, faculty held a silent auction where visitors were able to bid on an array of items, including American Airlines tickets.

"I had a good time this weekend," said Rob Giordano, senior in professional flight who attended the Homecoming tailgate Saturday. "There were a lot of great prizes for sale at the silent auction and everyone there seemed to be having a great time."

All funds raised during Homecoming weekend will support student scholarships and the aviation program at Auburn.

Share and discuss “Head of Aircraft Company Speaks to Auburn Aviators” on social media.