Our View: State Becoming More Open and Accessible on School Spending

Throughout most of Alabama's history, the state has not been known as a bastion of truth and openness with regards to governmental actions and spending.

The smoke-filled back room deals and spoils system have always plagued Alabama and still continue to be a problem even as we move into the 21st Century.

When we hear Montgomery start to throw around words like "openness" and "accountability," we can't help but chuckle a bit.

Can we really trust these folks?

Honestly, we're starting to see more reasons to believe we can.

There have been great strides made to try to reform the two-year college system and how lawmakers can interact with that system.

With Governor Riley's new measures involving pass-through pork now being implemented, Alabama is finally starting to make its way into the light.

Schools in Alabama have to fight for every cent they get from Montgomery, so legislators using their influence to steer education money to other venues should be seen as reprehensible.

If our lawmakers are trying to do this, they should be called out and made to defend their actions and motives in the public sphere.

Auburn is a land grant institution.

This means the taxpayers in this state actually pay a large portion of the bills that go to make this campus the great university it is.

Our tuition payments only cover a small portion of this university's costs, and Alabama's taxpayers certainly deserve to know how their money is being used.

Especially in these difficult economic times, Auburn and other universities will need whatever they can get to help make up shortfalls and rising costs.

We're entering some dark times for Alabama education, as we find new ways to increase the tax revenues funding our educational system.

We can all agree pork barrel projects aren't going to help get us a better education.

We applaud the governor's office for taking the lead on this issue and wish them well in hunting out corruption.

Truthfully, this is a small step for Alabama, but it makes us hopeful for an Alabama that may one day come.

Share and discuss “Our View: State Becoming More Open and Accessible on School Spending” on social media.