SenseCam Records Daily Life

Those for whom MySpace, Facebook, Twitter and Flickr are not sufficient to divulge the minutiae of their lives to the world, there is now the Microsoft SenseCam.

A device developed by the Microsoft lab in Cambridge, England, the SenseCam takes pictures documenting one's life throughout the day.

"You can in fact, recall your whole day," said Gordon Bell, principle researcher for Microsoft. "You can use it for different kinds of things, places where you will have lots of people or when taking a nice walk."

Bell said every photo taken and where it was taken is easily available with the SenseCam.

The camera is usually worn around the users neck via a lanyard. The user can set the camera to take pictures on its built in sensor mode, which activates according to change in temperature, lighting or movement. It can also be programmed to capture on a timer mode.

The SenseCam uses a fish-eye lens to take pictures of as wide a spectrum as possible.

The camera uses light-intensity and light-color sensors, body heat detectors, temperature sensors, and a multiple-axis accelerometer to automatically take the pictures, according to Microsoft's Web site.

This means that if someone walks from inside to outside, the light change will set off the sensors to capture the moment. The camera can also be set to take photos with a timer.

He said people will be able to capture their lives with the camera, and those short of memory can use it to help them remember things throughout the day.

"I think it gives you a nice feeling of security that things are there, and you can use your brain for something else," Bell said. "I don't feel that I have a crutch there. Before cell phones, you only knew about 10 numbers, now all the numbers you've accumulated have come through e-mail. You just have a much larger, richer base than what you work from. I feel less tense about having to remember anything."

Landon Grantland, second-year student in veterinary medicine, said he thinks the SenseCam might be useful for people who have blogs, keep journals and enjoy writing in general.

"It's a handy device for people who like to reflect and write," Grantland said. "I might use one on occasion just to see what kind of pictures it takes, but not on any regular basis."

Grantland said he doesn't think it's necessary to document one's life everyday with the SenseCam, but it might be interesting to see what someone could learn from capturing his or her own life in pictures.

"The SenseCam is a bad idea because it will allow you to focus too much on the past and not the present," said Josh Jinright, sophomore in polymer and fiber engineering. "I believe you're supposed to live in the present and not worry about the past. I find it unnecessary because you would also get a bunch of wasted time on things that are unimportant."

Jenner Chang, senior in biomedical sciences, said she feel ambivalence about the device.

"It's a good idea because you'll be able to document your life, but at the same time, a bad idea because people will rely on it too often," Chang said.

Chang said she doesn't think she could justify buying a SenseCam.

Share and discuss “SenseCam Records Daily Life” on social media.