Langdon Hall Gets Renovations

To some students, Langdon Hall's locked doors are a mystery.

"The auditorium is not currently in use and is not planned for use in the near future," said Jann Swaim, an Auburn Facilities Division administrator.

The building's history extends back to the middle of the 19th century.

Langdon was built in 1853 and rebuilt in 1883, said Boyd Childress, Ralph Brown Draughon Library's architecture specialist.

"Charles Langdon was an Alabama politician, mayor of Mobile, state legislator, secretary of state from 1885 to 1889 and an Auburn trustee for many years," Childress said. "He was elected to Congress in 1865, but denied the seat because of reconstruction."

According to the Auburn University walking tour guide, the building was first used as a chapel for the Auburn Female Masonic College.

It was constructed at a cost of $2,500.

The wood frame building was acquired by the East Alabama Male College in 1883 and moved to its present site near Samford Hall.

It was remodeled in 1892 in the classic revival style to include its brick veneer.

When Old Main burned in 1887, all classes were held in Langdon Hall.

At one time, the building housed the wood-work and machine departments.

The building's long history continued as it served as the first electric dynamo and light plant from 1888 to 1921, next housing the home economics department from 1921-1924.

From 1951 to 1977, the auditorium served as a YMCA assembly hall and band rehearsal hall.

In 1988, the department of human resources moved to the basement area of Langdon Hall.

But its historic auditorium has been out of use for some time.

"The auditorium is not currently in use and is not planned for use in the near future," Swaim said. "The auditorium and human resources (office) will be getting an HVAC upgrade as part of the Langdon Steam Plant project. The auditorium will still need interior renovations, such as chairs, paint, flooring and ceiling lights, which are not a part of this project."

The building's most recent renovations date back to 1950, when the auditorium acquired new curtains, seats, light fixtures, asphalt tile floor and newly painted walls, according to Auburn's buildings Web site.

Share and discuss “Langdon Hall Gets Renovations” on social media.