Coleman, Tate to Senior Bowl

While many fans might consider the conclusion of the 2009 Auburn Football season as being the Outback Bowl, former Auburn defensive end Antonio Coleman and former running back Ben Tate would beg to differ. This pair of roommates is heading to the 60th Annual Under Armour Senior Bowl Saturday at Ladd-Peebles Stadium in Mobile, where they'll be given the chance to show the National Football League what they can do.

"It's not just my last colege game, it's an interview for the NFL," Coleman said. "I'm going to be playing with a lot of intensity and just try to fly around and make plays." Coleman and Tate join an all-star group of athletes including Tim Tebow, Tony Pike, Stafon Johnson and Javier Arenas. The game will give pro scouts a chance to determine the players' possible positions in the NFL. Speculation surrounds

the draft fate of Tebow in particular, with some placing the Heisman Trophy winner at tight end or Wildcat quarterback.

Coleman, a Mobile native, said he recognizes how special it is to play in his hometown. Steve Hale, president and CEO of the Senior Bowl, agrees.

"We are very excited about having both Antonio and

Ben here in January representing the Auburn Tigers in the Under Armour Senior Bowl," Hale said. "Both are very deserving of their invites, and it's always rewarding to have a Mobile native like Antonio return home to play in front of his friends and family."

The first Senior Bowl was played in 1950 at the Gator Bowl in Jacksonville, Fla., moving to its current location a year later. The game has since become a showcase for future NFL stars, with past MVPs including Dan Marino, Terry Bradshaw and LaDainian Tomlinson. Former Auburn players such as quarterbacks Dameyune Craig, Stan White and Pat Sullivan have held the title as well. "It's exciting to know that I have the opportunity to play against some of the top competition in the country and to be able to showcase my talents against those guys," Tate said. Tate will enter the game with 3,321 total rushing yards, ranking in the top five in Auburn history.

Coleman, meanwhile, has nine sacks this season alone, ranking him among Quentin Groves and Gerald Robinson for most in Auburn history.

Coleman also has 15.5 tackles for loss on the season. He leads the SEC in both categories. Coleman credits his rising stock to the leadership of head coach Gene Chizik.

"It's changed a lot," Coleman said. "It's helped a lot because of the team we had this year. We finished 8-5, did great in the bowl game.

The coaches treat every player the same and take care of their seniors."

Despite going on to bigger and better things, Tate and Coleman will look back on their time at Auburn with fondness.

Coleman said he'll take with him lessons learned during his time on The Plains, including participating in a competitive league like the Southeastern Conference and dealing with a change in coaching regime, for years to come.

"I wouldn't trade it for the world," Coleman said. "I learned a lot and had some great coaches. Definitely an experience I'll never forget, playing college football at Auburn."

Share and discuss “Coleman, Tate to Senior Bowl” on social media.