Auburn Hygiene Drive for Haiti calls Auburn community to gather hygienic supplies

The Auburn community can now donate something tangible to aid in the relief of Haitians after an earthquake devastated their nation Jan. 12.

The Auburn Hygiene Drive for Haiti is a community-wide effort to collect hygiene kits to help support the country's overwhelming demand for medical supplies.

Matthew Broadway, senior in wildlife sciences, had the original idea to collect hygienic items from students.

Broadway said he thought he wanted to do a clothing drive for third world countries in need, but when disaster struck Haiti, he knew medical supplies were the first priority for the current situation.

"The citizens of Haiti are forced into condensed areas, in the streets, under medical tents and in sort of refugee situations," Broadway said. "The concern of the spread of disease has increased substantially."

The Committee of 19, the Global Campaign for Christ and the Global Aid Network are combining forces to collect kits and monetary donations for the cause.

"I wanted students and people in the community to be able to give something tangible," Broadway said. "I wanted to make it personal, not just for us, but for the Haiti people."

Chaney Moss, sophomore in actuarial mathematics, said her sorority has encouraged her to donate a kit to the Auburn Hygiene Drive.

"I want to do anything I can to help," Moss said. "The kits are an easy way to do lots of good."

Broadway said the goal of the drive is 10,000 kits and $50,000 to the Global Aid Network, which will be receiving all of the kits and shipping them to Haiti.

"I hope that with 24,000 students, our goal will prove to be a gross underestimate of the weight of the human heart at Auburn University," Broadway said.

The kits are a great way to donate without having to give a lot of money, said Joey Palazzolo, junior in criminology.

"Even though I can't give lots of money," Palazzolo said, "I feel like I can give a great deal by donating a kit."

To build a hygiene kit, students can fill a two gallon zip-close bag with a new hand towel, wash cloth, toothpaste, toothbrush, bar of soap, comb, wet wipes, shampoo, bandages, tissues, feminine pads and $5 to assist with shipping.

The kits can be placed in barrels around campus from Feb. 7 through March 3.

In addition to a kit, checks can be made out to GAIN, and can be turned in to each University department or to the Campus Crusade for Christ office. The checks should be given in a sealed envelope.

People can also text the word "GAIN" to 85944 to donate $10. The charge will show up on the donator's cell phone bill.

Everyone in the community is encouraged to participate, including local schools, churches and businesses, Broadway said.

For more information, contact Broadway at broadms@auburn.edu or Lauren Jones at jonesl1@ auburn.edu.

Share and discuss “Auburn Hygiene Drive for Haiti calls Auburn community to gather hygienic supplies” on social media.