Cutting a Rug for Credit

Many students find themselves struggling to make it to class on time.

Sluggish students have to get out of bed, get dressed and find a way to make it all the way on campus, whether walking or taking a transit most of the way.

But for those in Adrienne Wilson's Intermediate Dance Techniques II class, they find themselves arriving early with smiles on their faces, greeting each other as if it's been weeks since they last talked.

"We're one big happy family," said Richard Davis, senior in microbiology and theater.

Located in the recently renovated Foy ballroom, Wilson's dance class of more than 20 students gathers to learn and practice different techniques of modern dance.

"We look at movement theory and take things to a different level," Wilson said. "It's a mind and body connection."

Class begins each Monday and Wednesday morning starting at 11 and continues until 12:50, which is longer than most two-day classes.

But with no classes meeting Fridays, the dancers make the most of their time during class in order to enjoy their time off.

"I enjoy the willingness of the students to just go with me," Wilson said. "We look at traditional methods... (but) in a different way. I have a different theme for each class."

Davis said he enjoys Wilson's style of teaching.

"It's a different way of thinking about modern," said Davis, who has danced since he was in high school. "We actually use the concepts immediately."

Wilson also requires journaling as an outside source of expression.

"I want them to reflect on their experience in class," Wilson said. "They can relate what we're doing to things outside of class."

Along with journaling, Wilson often requires outside reading and has her students watch movies during class.

"It's one thing to read it, but you really have to see it when it comes to dancing," Wilson said.

Tina Hall, senior in communication, said her favorite part about the class was the camaraderie among all of her classmates.

"I like being able to talk to people who understand me," said Hall, who has been dancing for more than 18 years. "When you talk about dance in other classes, people don't get it."

Ashley Chynoweth, sophomore in accounting, said she enjoys the long lasting connections she's been able to make within the class.

"I know everyone in my class," Chynoweth said.

Even though having 20 students doesn't seem like a large class size, dancers need enough space to move and flitter about.

"We were in the theater building," Hall said. "It just wasn't big enough."

But, after moving to Foy, the students have had a few problems adjusting.

Both Hall and Davis complained of the wooden floor, which has been on top of concrete.

"It hurts my back," Hall said.

Chynoweth said the ballroom could be unpredictable at times.

"It's either freezing or burning up," Chynoweth said. "The smells can also change."

Although the conditions could be better for dancing, the students still enjoy coming to class each day.

"It's a nice way to get away from lectures and other classes," Davis said. "It's stress relieving ... (and) allows a different side of the brain to be put touse."

Share and discuss “Cutting a Rug for Credit” on social media.