YOUR VIEW: Sophomore responds to last week's letter

Editor, the Auburn Plainsman

I was a little surprised when I read Dr. Penaskovic's letter to the editor in the Feb. 18 edition of The Plainsman.

There are three types of fans.

There are the delusional fans with unrealistic expectations that worship the team one minute and curse them the next.

There are the rational fans that have high, yet also realistic expectations and are always fearless and true.

Then there are the blind naive fans who can never see any faults or problems with their team and always oppose change.

It seems that Dr. Penaskovic falls into the third category.

I fall into the second.

I have attended every home basketball game since I have been a student with the exception of the games played during Christmas break.

Dr. Penaskovic accused The Plainsman as well as most of the student body of being fair-weather fans.

I can assure Dr. Penaskovic that this is not Tuscaloosa.

Coach Lebo has been at Auburn for six years. Six years is plenty of time to show improvements.

Since 2005, nine of the 12 SEC teams have all made March Madness. Auburn last made the NCAAs in 2003.

Only Ole Miss has not made the NCAAs since that time.

This is completely unacceptable.

The SEC is the weakest of the power conferences yet we have only finished in the top half of the SEC West once. Dr. Penaskovic stated that support is the problem, not the coaching staff.

I disagree.

During Lebo's tenure, we have failed to play basketball.

Our team has no form, no inside game and plenty of free throw woes.

Several times this year we have had two possession leads in the last few minutes and we still have managed to lose.

Questionable coaching decisions and plays led to those loses.

Dr. Penaskovic has been a season ticket holder for the last 26 years and I am willing to bet that Lebo's tenure has been the worst era of Auburn basketball during that time.

Dr. Penaskovic stated that he trusts the judgement of Jay Jacobs. I for one do not.

The new arena will seat less than BEMC and far less than what a brand new multi-million dollar facility should seat.

This tells me that Jay Jacobs neither is very passionate about Auburn basketball nor does he expect any improvement in the future.

I do not expect Auburn to be on the same level of Kentucky or UNC, but I do expect Auburn to be competitive and play quality ball, not street ball.

I personally like Lebo and I am extremely disappointed that he has not been successful, but it is time for a change.

Requesting a change is not disrespecting or bad-mouthing the Auburn family.

As long as Jeff Lebo is our coach I will continue to support him and, as always, our basketball program, but I have found it harder the last few years when I know that we can do better.

Whether its academics, the band, equestrian or football, we expect competitiveness not mediocrity. Auburn can do better and Auburn deserves better.

Share and discuss “YOUR VIEW: Sophomore responds to last week's letter” on social media.