Higher SPFs Lose Effectiveness

The time has come to say farewell to midterms, papers and classes and say hello to Spring Break 2010. Many will head to the beach to catch a break, some fun and some rays. But before the beach bums start hitting the waves and the sand, remember that school may be giving you a break, but the sun's rays are still relentless.

According to Ocean Potion representative Sonia Martinez, anytime skin is exposed to the sun extra sunscreen should put on and should be given an adequate amount of time to soak into the skin.

"You should put it on a good 20 minutes before going outside," Martinez said.

Another sunscreen representative, Amanda Madden, who works for Banana Boat, said that it's essential to wear sunscreen daily because, even though we cannot tell, the sun can actually burn through clothing. So in order to adequately protect skin from the sun, Kathryn Chapman, program director for the

Alabama Comprehensive Cancer Control Center, said it's important to know the facts.

But how much sunscreen is necessary to keep the sun's harmful rays from damaging skin?

"A golf ball size amount is an easy way to remember," said Kathryn Chapman.

Madden also said that all sunscreens have a certain SPF, which determines how well the sunscreen can protect skin.

Chapman said SPF stands for "sun protection factor" and is a way to know how long skin can exposed to the sun.

SPF can range from as low as two to greater than 50. The numbers represent the product's ability to deflect the sun's rays.

More importantly, Chapman said, purchasing a sunscreen that has both UVA and UVB protection is best.

UVA, she said, are the rays that cause skin to age and UVB are the rays that burn skin.

Therefore, buying a sunscreen that protects the skin from both UVA and UVB rays protects the skin from aging and getting burnt.

Chapman said it's important for college students to know that when they purchase the appropriate sunscreen they are actually saving their skin.

"They're protecting their skin from the wrinkles they won't want to have when they're older," Chapman said.

Madden also said it depends on the sun and a person's skin type.

"Florida has a 'hotter' sun than here in Wisconsin, so you would need a higher SPF," she said.

With that being said, the FDA and many sunscreen producers recommend that people use a sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher.

"That's the lowest you want to go if you want protection," Madden said.

However, Chapman said that once a higher SPF such as 65 is reached, it doesn't really protect any better than SPF 30.

All in all, Chapman said that it all depends on how much sunscreen is applied.

"If you have fair skin, you're skin will absorb more of the sun's energy, so you will want to reapply for often," Chapman said.

She also said that it depends on the activity.

"Sunscreen wears off," Chapman said. "So if you are going to be sweating or getting in the water, you are going to want to reapply more frequently."

Chapman said even if the product says "waterresistant," reapplication is necessary.

And as for those "extras" that many sunscreens add to their product, Madden said they don't matter.

"They're just there for moisture and fragrance," Madden said.

Share and discuss “Higher SPFs Lose Effectiveness” on social media.