Jessica Shaddix / WRITER

The Auburn Plainsman
Sports

Inniss Learns Valuable Lessons at Nationals

For Rachel Inniss, Auburn University gymnast, going to the NCAA Nationals in Gainesville, Fla., was an unforgettable experience.As for going by herself and competing individually in the floor exercise, she said she was excited, but wished her team could have gone with her.Inniss was teamed up with the University of Florida and placed 34th in section two of the championship."(Going to Nationals) was a bittersweet moment because I didn't have my team with me, but I was representing Auburn," Inniss said.She said going alone was weird because she hasn't competed by herself since high school."It wasn't odd though," Inniss said.

The Auburn Plainsman
Campus

SAA encourages renewal of memberships

The Student Alumni Association will begin membership renewal for the 2010-2011 school year in May, giving students another chance to participate in one of the campus's largest organizations or to renew the membership they already have.Mallory Mims, accounting major and SAA membership chair, said SAA is working on establishing more efficient ways of bringing students in contact with alumni and preparing senior students to make the leap from student to alumni.Because SAA is trying to make this leap, Samantha Boyd, sophomore in communication and SAA vice-chairman of membership, said they have made the process simple so that any student can sign up."You can walk right in (the SAA building), ask for an application and get it done right then and there," Boyd said.Membership costs $20 for a year and can be paid via check, cash or credit card.

The Auburn Plainsman
News

Author Speaks On New Book, Antebellum Architecture

History can't be rewritten, but in John Sledge's new book, "The Pillared City," he gives the reader a new glimpse into the past and highlights the Greek revival period in Mobile through the antebellum style architecture and historical buildings.Along with Sledge's writing, photographs of historical buildings by Sheila Hagler are sprinkled throughout the pages.

The Auburn Plainsman
News

AT&T MicroCell

Some cell phone services, such as AT&T, are trying new ways to give better service to their customers when they enter buildings and when at home to avoid the typical dropped call "Can you hear me now?" situation.AT&T launched a new device called the 3G MicroCell signal booster March 24th.

The Auburn Plainsman
News

$105 Million Grant Funds Railroad Hub

Plans to build a rail hub in McCalla have begun to unfold after a $105 million federal grant was given to the Departments of Transportation in Alabama and Tennessee.The area was selected for the project after an extensive site search of the Birmingham region.According to Norfolk Southern, the railway transportation company building the hub, the McCalla site is the only location that meets the necessary criteria for the hub.

More articles »