Tiger Eyes Await Prize

High school seniors are taught the pregame trot. Carolyn Rush / ASSISTANT PHOTO EDITOR

They lined up with their heads held high, backs straight, hands on their hips and toes pointed out, while trying to keep in step.

Feb. 27 several women spent Saturday at Goodwin Music Hall for an audition clinic, learning what to expect for the 2010 Tiger Eyes try-outs.

The women were given step-by-step instruction on how to perform.

"This gives them an opportunity to learn what's expected of them," said Sara Cothran, dance line instructor.

The room was filled with freshmen and high school seniors, fixing their pony-tails and stretching in their audition clothes: tanks, shorts, tights and jazz shoes.

One high school senior trying out for the majorette line, Melissa Borden from Spain Park High School, said she wanted to try out because she heard it was a fun way to get involved.

However, Borden said it was a big step for her to come to Auburn.

"I'm an Alabama fan," Borden said. "But I like the majorette line here better." After the girls stretched in preparation for the day, Kristina Cammack explained what to expect for try-outs. Cammack said she was thrilled that so many women showed up for the clinic. Danielle Chester, freshman in pre-communication disorders, said she is trying out for Tiger Eyes because she en- joys dancing. "I really like to dance," Chester said.

"And it would be a really good opportunity to be a part of the Auburn tradition." Two drum majors helped teach the girls how to march and the pre-game jog. While marching out onto the field, the pre-game jog involves bringing the legs up quickly and repeatedly at a 90-degree angle with feet naturally relaxed, backs straight and heads held high.

The women were given many chances to practice and after a few short tries they were marching back and forth in Goodwin and Foy.

Cammack said that usually they would have the women perform one move at a time, but this year the routines for tryouts have changed. She said although auditions will still be "nerve-wracking" the change will be for the better.

"We've changed how we do basics," Cammack said. "We've created short routines so it's not so awkward for the judges and auditioners."

The instructors informed the auditioners that this year their routines will be open to the public, allowing their family and friends to watch them try out.

Mallory Gilliland, freshmen in restaurant management and 2009 majorette, said the day was a chance for everyone to get an idea of the style they are looking for this year.

"I'd like to leave feeling more comfortable going into tryouts and know what to practice," Gilliland said.

Share and discuss “Tiger Eyes Await Prize” on social media.