Baja Burrito To Replace Flip Flops

Honors were given to employee of the month and all resolutions were approved Tuesday night at the Auburn City Council meeting.

In the Committee of the Whole meeting before the Council meeting, the results for the City of Auburn's 2010 Citizen Survey were presented to the council.

The survey is conducted annually to evaluate citizen satisfaction with the city government and operations, according to auburnalabama.org.

"The thing I am most pleased with are the areas citizens wanted to pay attention to, traffic in neighborhoods, speeding and intersection improvement," said Mayor Bill Ham. "Those are areas we have spent a lot of expertive hours to duplicate."

The six-page survey was sent to 1,500 random households in Auburn. Of those, 778 were completed and returned.

Flow of traffic and maintenance of city streets were the areas residents thought should receive the most emphasis in Auburn for the next two years.

These have been the top priorities since 2004.

Satisfaction with traffic flow and ease of travel by bicycle is significantly increased in the 2010 survey, according to auburnalabama.org.

Earline S. Cobb, deputy city clerk, was named employee of the month.

Cobb has been working for Auburn for 36 years.

"It was quite an honor being selected employee of the month," Cobb said. "I have served the city for a number of years and just appreciate being recognized for what is really my job."

Service pins and plaques were also rewarded to honor Todd White, of the economic development department, Ralph Hovey and David Ponder, both of the public works department.

Bill Sherling was nominated to fill the vacancy on the library board.

The position is a four-year term. It was previously occupied by William L. Alford, who has served two full terms.

Under Boards and Commissions, Joel Tremaine and Charles Hendrix were nominated to fill the vacancies on the Historic Preservation Commission.

A Korean automotive supplier is expanding its operations in Auburn. Pyongsan America, Inc., has invested $5 million in expansion and create 100 additional jobs during the next two years.

"We are thrilled to be able to offer Pyongsan a solution for growth in Auburn," Ham said in a press release. "Under the leadership of Chairman Bang Soo Lee, and President Francis Yoon, Pyongsan has grown to employ over 100 employees, and plan to double the number of jobs over the next few years. This is great news for our citizens and evidence of our success of our strategy to build a diverse industrial base in Auburn."

The remainder of the resolutions were passed without objections.

The resolutions included granting liquor licenses for Baja Burrito Company and China Palace, both on South College.

Drainage and utility easements for the Bent Creek West Sewer Phase II Project and the intersection of East Glenn Avenue at Mike Hubbard Boulevard were accepted.

Contracts for sanitary sewer construction with Glass Garden LLC., sidewalk construction in Ellington Place subdivision and parking deck maintenance repairs project were also approved.

In the "Other Business" portion of the meeting, Councilman Arthur L. Dowdell of Ward 1 brought up his concern about the ethnic diversity of construction workers in his district.

"A lot of Mexicans was doing a lot of the dealings over in our community," Dowdell said. "I think several community leaders wanted to see more blacks have subcontracts in North Auburn projects."

Share and discuss “Baja Burrito To Replace Flip Flops” on social media.