Dancin' the Night Away

Vincent Tsai, sophomore industrial design, break dances at the AU Dance Marathon. Philip Smith / ASSISTANT PHOTO EDITOR

The second annual Auburn University Dance Marathon kicked off Saturday at 8 p.m. in the Student Center Ballroom, and students danced nonstop until the next morning at 8 a.m.

The 12-hour event, hosted by SGA, raised $5,590 for Lee County's Habitat for Humanity.

All the money stays in Lee County, said Tiffany Rozier, director of the dance marathon and junior in theater management.

Nationwide, dance marathons are the largest student-run philanthropy, Rozier said.

"At some schools, you train to do dance marathon," Rozier said. "You don't have caffeine for weeks, you alter your sleeping patterns--it's crazy. It's a learning process and a working process to try to get Auburn to have something that great and that beneficial."

Rozier said the money is raised through corporate sponsorships, entry fees and fundraising by the participants.

Teams from different groups on campus registered for the event, and a points system was used to determine the winner.

There was a tie for first place between Alpha Chi Omega Sorority and the Auburn University Players.

Second place was Sigma Kappa Sorority, and third place went to "The Boys."

Auburn's dance marathon began last year as a campaign platform for Sara Beth Brown, Miss Auburn of 2009.

Rozier said SGA sponsored the event this year.

"I think we're well on our way to becoming a new Auburn tradition," Rozier said.

Mark Grantham, executive director of Habitat for Humanity, spoke at the kickoff, telling participants about the work of Habitat for Humanity.

Two Habitat for Humanity homeowners also shared their stories and thanked students for their participation.

"I think it's a great cause, and to think that from dancing for 12 hours someone is going to have a roof over their head is just something that's really incredible," said Julie DiCarlo, junior in communication and a member of the Alpha Chi Omega team. "I dance all the time. My biggest thing is just wearing comfortable shoes, because I don't like to dance barefoot--it kind of freaks me out."

DiCarlo participated last year as well.

"Last year, afterward I couldn't walk for three days," DiCarlo said. "Dancing for 12 hours is something I had never done before, so my body was sore, and muscles hurt that I didn't even know I had."

Stamina to last through the entire 12 hours is important, DiCarlo said.

"The middle is hard. From 1 o'clock to 4 o'clock is the hardest stretch, but after that you get your second wind around 4 o'clock in the morning," DiCarlo said.

Andrew Kinnaird, junior in economics, was a member of the Sigma Kappa team.

"I did it last year, and it was a lot of fun, so I wanted to do it again," Kinnaird said. "I like to dance. I've also worked with Habitat before, and it's a really great cause. Also, this year we're having a TOMS hour, and I'm working with the TOMS group."

Kinnaird said his favorite part of the evening was the AU Rhythm dance-off, which he won.

"Everybody was supposed to get in a circle, and then AU Rhythm was in the middle," Kinnaird said. "I was throwing out some 'Twist and Shout,' a little two-step--a little bit of everything."

Kinnaird said AU Rhythm added a lot of fun to the event.

"They come and do their routine, and then they'll stick around and dance to different songs," Kinnaird said. "I personally don't know a lot of dances, but AU Rhythm knows all the dances to all the songs and how to do them, so you watch them and pick up new stuff."

In addition to dance-offs, the dance marathon featured a Zumba class, $1 massages, swing dancing lessons, Michael Jackson hour, free Fuze drinks and costume contests.

Rozier said each year would be different, but she hopes the marathon becomes a huge Auburn tradition.

"Every year is going to be learning and in 10 years, we're going to work out all the kinks, and hopefully it'll be in the Coliseum, and it'll be great," Rozier said.

Rozier said in the future she hopes the dance marathon coordinators will collaborate with the planners of Greek Sing, and the proceeds will be enough to build a Habitat for Humanity house every year henceforth.

Share and discuss “Dancin' the Night Away” on social media.