Dangers Of The 'Dirty Dozen'

With a cheap college budget, buying organic fruits and vegetables is probably not a top priority.

However, there are certain produce items for which buying organic is always advisable.

The Environmental Protection Agency helped release a list in 2001 of 12 Persistent Organic Pollutants know as the "Dirty Dozen" that can be found on most produce and are linked to some diseases.

Peaches are the most chemically dangerous, followed by apples, bell peppers, celery, nectarines, strawberries, cherries, kale, grapes, pears, lettuce and carrots.

When buying these items in the grocery store, it is better to spend the little extra cash and go organic.

"In a perfect world, I would like to see us eating organic as I believe it results in more sustainable agriculture," said Ann Johnson, nutrition graduate teaching assistant at Auburn.

POPs are toxic chemicals that can be transported product to product by wind and water, making them easily spread as most food is shipped and difficult to contain or eradicate them from the environment.

The EPA advises that produce with these chemicals on them should be avoided at all costs.

Some diseases linked to POPs include malaria, cancer and other mutations.

"I've never bought organic," said Chelsea Biele, junior in business. "It just seems like a waste of money and I barely have enough as it is. I still have to pay rent, buy gas, books and all those things."

Biele said since there are no signs or warnings at any super markets, she continued to buy normal produce.

"It's pretty scary that the grocery stores don't even have any signs hanging up," Biele said. "If these germs are so dangerous, someone should make it more apparent."

However, since 2001, the U.S., in cooperation with other governments, has been working to outlaw, reduce or eliminate the "Dirty Dozen" from use.

Johnson said she knows about the risks and believes in the importance of buying organic, but sometimes it is not reasonable to do so.

"The health benefits of the increased fruit and vegetable consumption outweighs any potential downside of pesticides in the food," Johnson said. "As a poor Ph.D. student, my refrigerator is packed with fruits and vegetables, but not organic."

Johnson said it is more important to eat the recommended 5-9 servings of fruit and vegetables a day.

"I am used to eating organics because I'm used to it, but I'm not sure that many other college kids know how important it is," said Lee Davis, senior in health administration and promotion.

For more information, visit http://chm.pops.int/

Share and discuss “Dangers Of The 'Dirty Dozen'” on social media.