Girl's Guide: Getting Your Grill On

Many women can handle baking cupcakes or tossing a salad, but when it comes to the grill, they're sometimes raw.

The art of grilling is thought to be a man's knack. It can elude those free of a Y chromosome. Propane or charcoal? Marinade or rub?

Logan Cannon, senior in software engineering, said there are just a few important things to remember when it comes to grilling.

"Definitely go with a propane or gas grill," Cannon said. "It's way easier than charcoal. You just turn it on and you're good to go."

Cannon said he considers himself a grilling connoisseur.

"As far as what to grill, I would definitely recommend hamburger meat for beginners," Cannon said. "It's the safest and easiest to determine if it's ready. With chicken or steak, it's much harder to determine the internal temperature."

Cannon said meat thermometers are useful for girls that are nervous about undercooking their meals.

For hamburger meat, an internal temperature of 160 degrees is appropriate, while steak varies more. A rare steak should reach 140 degrees, while a well-done steak should reach 170 degrees. Chicken, whether grilling a whole chicken or chicken breast, should reach 165 degrees.

Cannon also said his secret to grilling lies in the rub.

"I like marinades, but my special rub from Texas is a staple in my grilling," Cannon said.

Hunter Mills, senior in finance, said he loves to marinate his protein prior to grilling.

"Even just a simple teriyaki sauce or Italian dressing can really add to chicken or steak," Mills said. "It's easy and spices things up."

Mills said he thinks grilling fresh meats is easier for a green "grillmaster."

"When you try to grill frozen meat, it's easier to burn the outside and leave the inside uncooked," Mills said. "Plus, waiting for chicken to thaw is miserable when all you want to do is eat."

Jake McNeal, sophomore in wildlife biology, said he knows all about grilling meat, but his specialty is actually the side dishes.

"You can grill a whole meal," McNeal said. "Just put your veggies and starch on the grill with your meat."

McNeal said he recommends baked potatoes, corn on the cob and asparagus as good grilled side dishes. He said putting each in aluminum foil before putting them on the grill is essential, because it helps them from getting burned.

"I like to add some salt, butter and garlic to them too," McNeal said. "It adds some flavor."

Mills said one of the tricky things about grilling is keeping plates and utensils separated.

"You definitely want to get a new plate once you bring your raw meat out to the grill," Mills said. "Raw meat will leave juices all over a plate. You don't want to put your cooked meat on top of those juices, because those bacteria are what can get you sick."

Mills and Cannon both said that starting with hamburgers and hot dogs is probably the safest bet.

Share and discuss “Girl's Guide: Getting Your Grill On” on social media.