It's a Jeep Thing

Philip Smith / ASSISTANT PHOTO EDITOR
Philip Smith / ASSISTANT PHOTO EDITOR

Many drivers take pride in their vehicles, but Jeep drivers unite in a special way to form a unique auto community, complete with etiquette and mutual respect.

Most Jeep drivers, especially drivers of Wranglers, practice the "Jeep wave."

"It's bad Jeep etiquette to not wave at fellow Jeepers, so if I am driving down the road, and I see somebody in a Jeep, I wave at them even though I have no idea who they are," said Victoria Gulley, junior in human development and family studies and proud driver of a 1995 Jeep Wrangler YJ.

Gulley said she waves at all other Wrangler drivers, but some people wave at all Jeep models.

"Personally, I only wave at other Wranglers because that's what I drive, but some people wave at all of them and some people don't," Gulley said. "I think more often when you find somebody who's in a Grand Cherokee or something, they have no idea that it's Jeep etiquette to wave, and they just look at you like you're crazy."

Tommy Weems, senior in building science, said he had no idea about the "Jeep wave" when he first started driving his 2003 Jeep Wrangler PJ.

"It kind of caught me off guard the first month or two that I had my Jeep because I'd just be driving down the road and people would wave at me," Weems said.

Jeep Wranglers, originally developed by the military, are unique vehicles that are known for their appearance, off-road capabilities and dependability.

"Everybody knows what a Jeep is--it's just kind of in a category by itself," Weems said. "There's nothing else like it out there."

Jeeps are a conversation starter for those who drive them, Weems said.

"The people I've met that have Jeeps I wouldn't really know much at all if I didn't have a Jeep," Weems said. "That's how we ended up becoming friends."

Brian Juanico, junior in exercise science, said people who drive their Jeeps off-road have even more of a bond.

"You go out there with other Jeeps and just kind of ride around," Juanico said. "It's kind of like you're a motorcycle gang or something."

Juanico, who drives a 1997 Wrangler, said he thinks Jeeps should have some dirt on them at all times.

"A clean Jeep's kind of like a weak Jeep," Juanico said. "But some people have really nice set-ups in their Jeeps and they just don't do anything with them."

Gulley also drives her Jeep off-road. She said the need for an off-road vehicle was the main reason she bought her Jeep.

"I was driving a little sports car, and I kept needing to go places, but I couldn't get there because I had little low-profile tires, and I couldn't go anywhere off-road," Gulley said. "I would need to go to somebody's land, and I had to park on the highway or something. So I started looking for something with four-wheel drive, and Jeeps just made a lot of sense because I'd always wanted one anyway."

Gulley also loves to get her Jeep dirty.

"My favorite feature is that it's essentially waterproof on the inside, so I just leave the top down and ride like crazy, and then take a hose pipe and hose it out," Gulley said.

Jeep drivers are passionate about their hobby and many plan to never drive a different make or model.

"Probably someday I will have kids and have to have the 'mom van' or something, but I hope to have my Jeep forever, and just someday have it as a second vehicle," Gulley said. "If something crazy happens and I wreck it, then I will probably, most definitely get another one."

Share and discuss “It's a Jeep Thing” on social media.