Rose Run Raises Riches For Research

Attracting runners and walkers of all ages, Alpha Omicron Pi held their 10th annual Run for Roses 5K event last Saturday at 9 a.m. 100 percent of the proceeds were collected for arthritis research through the Alpha Omicron Pi Foundation, a national non-profit organization that supports various philanthropies of the sorority, including arthritis grants. Chelsea Lovett, sophomore in pre-med and AOPi's philanthropy chair, said she thought this years event was the most successful yet.

"Last year we donated $8,500," Lovett said. "This year I'm hoping that we (raised) at least $10,000. That was my goal." Each runner paid $15 to participate and donations were accepted. Door prizes were also awarded and music was provided for those who came for support. AOPi's president Kathleen Boehme said that they continue to hold the run in efforts to make college students more aware of this incurable disease, but especially the large number of greek affiliated women.

"Over 700 million Americans ... have a type of arthritis," said Boehme, junior in early childhood education. "This is an increasing number for college women." In fact, this painful disease affects one of AOPi's own members Carson Bayer, who said she joined her sorority in hopes she could affect more people with her same condition. "I was diagnosed with arthritis at 16," said Bayer, sophomore in communication. "It was heartbreaking." After joining AOPi, Bayer said she found herself supported by her sisters each and every day as she battled the disease. She recently found out she was misdiagnosed and actually has fibromyalgia "AOPi at Auburn is one of the top donators in America," Bayer said. "A lot of people don't realize that our age group is affected, but our run is making a difference."

Share and discuss “Rose Run Raises Riches For Research” on social media.