Ryal Rocks The 'Stache

In his second year as assistant softball coach, Mark Ryal continues to contribute his Major League knowledge and experience to Auburn.

"I try to help the girls by sharing some of the knowledge that I accumulated over playing 16 years of professional baseball," Ryal said. "Some of these situations in softball aren't any different than situations in baseball."

Ryal helps players improve hitting and outfielding skills during practice and tournaments.

"He's definitely helped me think differently in the box," said sophomore Amber Harrison. "He's taught me what to expect and how to play the game at a different, more intense level. He's taught us all how to grow as batters."

After Ryal came to Auburn in 2009, the Tigers improved overall and in SEC play in team batting average, hits, doubles, home runs, slugging percentage, walks, on-base percentage and stolen bases, according to the Auburn Tigers website.

"He's one of those quiet guys, but when he does talk, he's always really funny," Harrison said. "He's always cracking jokes."

But sometimes, the joke is on him and his now-famous mustache.

"Assistant coach Steve Johnson came to me with the idea for Mustache Night early on," said Eli Wilkerson, assistant director of marketing. "We usually pair it with the All Auburn, All Orange game so that we know we'll have a lot of students for it."

During the event, the athletic department distributes about 300 fake mustaches for students to wear in honor of Ryal, Wilkerson said.

"The girls on the team always get a team picture with the mustaches, as well," Wilkerson said. "It's just a fun thing we started doing that everyone seems to enjoy."

Harrison said she and the other players respect Ryal because he knows what it means to play ball, and he puts a fun twist on the practice routines.

"He always seems to have these quirky drills, but then you do them, and they start to make sense," Harrison said.

Head coach Tina Deese said she admires Ryal's demeanor and knowledge of the game.

"It's been a good experience with lots of fun and lots of laughter," Deese said.

Coaching seems to be in Ryal's blood, since he grew up with parents who were basketball coaches.

"From about the fifth grade on, probably 80 percent of my time was spent playing sports," Ryal said. "I took my studies seriously, so I was either on the field or in the books."

Ryal played basketball, baseball and football in high school.

"I signed a letter of intent to play football and baseball at the University of Oklahoma, but unexpectedly got drafted in 1978 in the third round by the Kansas City Royals," Ryal said.

Ryal also played for the Chicago White Sox (1985), California Angels, now called the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim (1986-87), Philadelphia Phillies (1989) and the Pittsburgh Pirates (1990). Ryal hit .375 in 13 games as he helped the Angels earn the American League Western Division title in 1986.

Then, Ryal left the Pittsburgh Pirates in 1990, and the Dragons in Japan gave him the opportunity to play major league ball.

"I wanted to go over there and prove myself, which I did," Ryal said.

After returning from Japan, Ryal signed with the Marlins. Then, an unexpected injury prompted him to find a new avenue in baseball.

So, Ryal began his collegiate coaching career as the hitting coach for the University of Oklahoma in 1995 and helped the Sooners advance to the College World Series. He then became head coach of the Inola (Okla.) High School softball program from 2003-2006.

After spending a season as head coach at Carl Albert State College in Poteau, Okla., Ryal decided to join the Auburn family.

"It was a chance to come down to a warmer climate and an opportunity to coach at this level with these kinds of athletes," Ryal said.

Despite his busy coaching schedule now, Ryal said he does his best to spend time with his wife and three children.

"I haven't had a chance to do a lot with my family because I have a daughter playing college softball, a son playing major league baseball and a younger daughter playing on the travel ball team in Montgomery," Ryal said. "If I'm not here coaching, I'm out chasing one of them."

Share and discuss “Ryal Rocks The 'Stache” on social media.