Softball Overcomes JSU, 8-5

The Auburn Softball team welcomed south the Jacksonville State University Gamecocks on a chilly Tuesday evening.

Auburn's bats, however, were not cold, as the Tigers scored eight runs on eight hits, downing Jacksonville State, 8-5.

Auburn coach Tina Deese said she was proud of the team's determination during the game.

"I'm really proud of the eight runs first and foremost," Deese said.

Auburn got off to a quick start as sophomore designated hitter Amber Harrison hit a homerun that just cleared the right field wall.

Redshirt sophomore Angel Bunner was in the pitcher's circle for the Tigers.

The Gamecocks scored two runs in the top of the fifth inning, bringing Bunner's night to an end.

Bunner pitched four and one-third innings, giving up six hits and two runs.

Senior pitcher Anna Thompson came in to relieve Bunner.

Thompson gave up a two-run home run to the first batter she faced, Jacksonville State freshman Kelci Johnston, bringing the score to

4-4.

Deese said she was hoping her team wouldn't falter and get past the inning.

"You can't get a big enough lead at this point," Deese said. "I was hoping we'd get as many runs as we could."

Auburn made Deese's hopes come true and took the lead back in the bottom of the fifth on an RBI single by freshman second baseman Kelsey Cartwright.

A bases-clearing double by sophomore center fielder Krista Clyde matched the four runs scored by Jacksonville State in the top of the fifth and extended Auburn's lead back to four.

"We got some good stuff from Krista Clyde coming through in the clutch with the bases-loaded hit," Deese said.

Clyde said she enjoys the pressure of having the bases loaded.

"She was quick pitching," Clyde said. "So I said I had to take it opposite field so I could score."

The Gamecocks would not go away, leading off the top of the seventh with a solo homerun by right fielder Mary Beth Ledbetter.

Sophomore pitcher Jenee Loree came in for the save with no outs in the seventh, relieving redshirt sophomore Lauren Schmalz after Schmalz saw Jacksonville State load the bases.

Loree said she had to be prepared to go into the game, even though Auburn had a three-run lead.

"When I got called to come in, I just took a deep breath," Loree said. "We had the three-run lead, so my team already got my hits for me, I just have to shut them down, throw strikes and hopefully get out of the inning."

Loree worked her way out of the jam, forcing two pop outs and striking out the final batter she faced.

"I'm real proud of Jenee (Loree) coming in in relief situation and getting it done," Deese said.

Loree said coming in with the bases loaded didn't have an affect on her.

"You can't get flustered," Loree said. "You just have to throw your game."

Auburn played Middle Tennessee State University last night and has the next week off to focus on school and the University of Arkansas.

"We're going to be in the middle of finals during the Arkansas weekend so that's a concern," Deese said. "But we're going to do everything we can to keep their eyes and hands working."

Deese also said the week off could help the pitching staff.

"The rest just might do us a little bit of good, so I'm excited about that," Deese said.

Clyde said the week off might be the team's most important week of the season.

"We have to come hard," Clyde said, "harder than we've ever come."

Auburn needs to win the series against Arkansas to make it to the SEC tournament.

"This will determine who makes the tournament," Clyde said. "We have to leave it all on the field."

Share and discuss “Softball Overcomes JSU, 8-5” on social media.