Volleyball Digs Spring

The women's volleyball team closed out its spring season at the Southeast College-Junior Invitational Saturday, beating all three opponents.

Coach Wade Benson said he felt the spring season ended great and his team played solid.

"Winning all three matches and ending the spring season 9-2 overall was a great start to our 2010 season," Benson said. "Nashville was great and the crowds were good, with many recruits watching the college teams play."

The Tigers started the day with a three-set sweep over Tennessee State and then hit a 2-1 victory over Austin Peay.

Sophomore setter Christina Solverson said the team saw several areas that need work at the tournament.

"We are trying to improve our serve, block and fast-tempo offense for the fall," Solverson said. "Our goal is to keep the pressure on our opponents all the time, and changing these skills in our game will really give us an opportunity to win against any team that we face."

The 2010 fall season kicks off with Auburn hosting its War Eagle Invitational at the Student Activities Center August 27-28.

The Tigers will face off against Georgia-Southern, Troy and Tennessee-Martin.

"It always feels good to end with a win," Solverson said. "It is reassuring that you are working hard in the off-season and gives you confidence going into next season."

Benson said he is optimistic about the fall and the leadership on his team improving with five seniors on the team.

Share and discuss “Volleyball Digs Spring” on social media.