Auburn Athletes Have Brains and Brawn

Auburn athletes showcase their talent both on and off the field. A total of 61 Auburn student-athletes made the 2009-10 Southeastern Conference (SEC) Academic Spring Honor Roll, which is based on grades from the summer and fall terms of 2009, and the 2010 spring term.

"I think out of hundreds of students 61 students who worked the hardest and put the most effort in were picked, and I was proud to be chosen as one," said Mallory Koplin, a junior in human development and family studies and an equestrian team athlete.

Men's track and field had 14 athletes make the honor roll, which led as the highest number of players to be honored on a team. The equestrian team came in second place, with 13 athletes to make the honor roll.

"My coaches and team motivated me to make the honor roll because it's a goal we strive for," Koplin said. "At the end of the semester, out of all students, I received the Most Improved GPA Award."

Anna Schierholz, a senior and media relations intern for the equestrian team, said as always she is proud her team is so successful on and off the field. Also, they take their academics very seriously and are always conscious of being students and not just athletes.

Student-athletes have to manage their time well to maintain their grades, and the task is not easy.

"It was always hard," Koplin said. "I would try to sign up for morning classes because I'd have practice in the afternoon. I also went to study hall in the evenings."

The time athletes put into performing well on the field and in class represents how well rounded students at Auburn are.

"Overall, with hard work, I try to represent Auburn the best I can," Koplin said. "It means a lot to me because I didn't start out strong my freshman year. Now that I've become a junior, I want to stick with it, and I plan to put in more work as a senior by taking on more leadership roles."

The equestrian team is incredibly involved in the community and has won the SAAC Community Service Award every year it has been offered.

The team volunteers at Storybook Farm, the Lee County Humane Society, several assisted living and nursing homes, and nearly all the elementary schools in the area.

"We know how important it is to have the support of the Auburn community, and we are constantly working to earn that support and respect," Schierholz said.

Greg Williams, head coach for the equestrian team, said academics are very important to them, and he likes to think the team does it for each other, as well as themselves.

"In the future, we want to continue to win national championships and turn out highly qualified individuals and ambassadors," Williams said.

Other teams had players who excelled in academics by working hard as well.

The baseball team was next on the list with nine athletes, and the softball team followed with seven.

The men's golf team added five to the list, and the women's tennis and women's track and field tied with four athletes.

Also, the women's golf team placed three athletes on the honor roll.

Share and discuss “Auburn Athletes Have Brains and Brawn” on social media.