Ice Hockey: Staying Cool in Auburn

Auburn is home to the coldest club sport in the south, ice hockey. The Auburn club ice hockey team hopes to attract students from different backgrounds and areas to enjoy this fast paced and exciting game on ice.

"Usually, when spectators see the live action, they are hooked on the excitement and fast pace of the game of ice hockey," said club faculty adviser Tim Bottenfield.

Ice hockey is more expensive than most sports because of the large quantity of equipment needed to safely and properly participate. From ice-skates to helmets to pads, cost is a major issue for the beginner just trying to learn the sport.

"One of the biggest challenges for the new ice hockey club will be fund raising," Bottenfield said. "Ice hockey is one of the most expensive sports to participate in, primarily due to the cost of ice time, equipment and travel."

The club is open to players of all skill levels and has attracted a wide variety, including some very skilled players.

"We've had ice hockey clubs in the past, most notably in the '80s, but the clubs fell through due to financial burdens and other reasons, and our current club has been around for a few months now," said club president James Florkiewicz.

There are not only a few places for the team to practice at. These include ice hockey rinks in Hunstville and Birmingham. Other places for competitions include Pensacola, Fla., Biloxi, Miss., or Columbus, Ga.

"We are working with the hockey team at The University of Alabama to put together an Iron Bowl on ice, right now called the Iron Cup," Florkiewicz said. "It's gonna be in Pelham, and it's going to be huge."

Events such as the "Iron Cup" should raise awareness of the clubs' activities and bring new participants to the rink. The team hopes to get more donations by drawing larger crowds and the attention of the public.

Donations can be given at places like the Auburn athletics website.

"Keep an eye out for some crash-course hockey sessions where we explain the sport to those who don't understand," Florkiewicz said. "Be excited for this season."

If the optimism of those in charge of Auburn's ice hockey club amounts to even just half of their hopeful expectations, the future looks bright for those looking to strut their stuff on the ice.

Share and discuss “Ice Hockey: Staying Cool in Auburn” on social media.