Volleyball Team Set to Attack in New Season

With victories overseas, nearly an entire team returning and new players on the way, the Auburn volleyball team is set to spike its success.

Head coach Wade Benson said he expects last season's accomplishments will benefit the team's mentality for the 2010 season.

"Our expectations for Auburn volleyball have risen; we expect to win, so last season was a positive push in that direction," Benson said. "It was a nice segue into the upcoming year, and it gave us more expectation for this year."

With only one senior not returning, Benson said the team will be able to uphold its intensity from the previous season.

"We want this team to have a larger maturity level and earn more wins," Benson said. "The experience from last season should help them do that."

Players like junior Christina Solverson agreed that having almost the whole team return will be an asset to the upcoming season.

"Each year since I have been at Auburn, the team's record has improved a lot," Solverson said. "I expect that we will be an even stronger team in the SEC this year because we have almost our entire team returning, including five seniors that provide us with lots of leadership and direction."

Senior Liz Crouch said the number of returning players will distinguish this season from others.

"I think this season will be different because we are going into this season much more prepared than other seasons, and the chemistry that we built last season and throughout the spring is the same because we only lost one player, which is a key part to this team being successful," Crouch said.

Senior Jonelle Wallace added she thinks last season will motivate the team for the fall.

"We are at a point now where everyone involved, from the players to the coaches to administration, are expecting a high level of performance and great things," Wallace said. "Most of all we want to continue to build on the large amount of success and improvement that we experienced last year and continue to gain a reputation of respect from whoever we play."

Whereas the majority of last year's players will be back this fall, Benson said the team is adding several new faces.

"We have a lot of depth already, but this group of freshmen are still going to help us a lot," Benson said. "If we get everybody in that we think should be able to get in, we're going to be the deepest team in the SEC."

In June, the Auburn Volleyball team won the gold championship title for a four-day tournament in Pesaro, Italy. Benson said playing internationally helped heighten the team's level of experience.

"We stepped our game up a notch in Italy," Benson said. "We faced some variants that we are not used to seeing here in the United States, and the team got better at handling the differences."

Like Benson, junior Kelly Fidero, who was awarded Most Valuable Player of the tournament, said playing with teams outside the United States was helpful.

"The Italy tournament was a huge success," Fidero said. "It was good experience to get to play against teams that have a different style of playing than most American teams."

Solverson and Wallace said winning the tournament in Italy helped generate both momentum and an exhilarating experience.

"Having success in Italy gives our team a lot of momentum going into our upcoming season," Solverson said. "Not only was it an exhilarating experience to compete internationally, but winning gives us a lot of momentum to build on."

With confidence from its international victory, the team plans to warm-up with this year's War Eagle Invitational, which takes place Aug. 27-Sept. 1.

"The War Eagle Invitational has a tradition with Auburn volleyball, and we're happy to continue that tradition," Benson said. "It is our tournament, and we want to be the team that takes the title."

Crouch said the War Eagle Invitational will help prepare the team for the rest of the season.

"The War Eagle Tournament for us will just be a chance for our team to play in competition and just get all the kinks out before we begin conference play," Crouch said.

Winning the War Eagle Invitational is only the start of the team's goals for this season. Benson said winning the West region of the SEC and going on to the NCAA Tournament are the team's ultimate aspirations.

"They are hefty goals, but doable," Benson said. "As long as we are playing the right way and the kids are thinking the right way and are doing what they need to do in the off season, our goals are very attainable."

Solverson said the players have been doing everything they can to set the team up for success this fall.

"We are using all the resources we have here at Auburn, from a well-rounded coaching staff to expert lifting coaches to nutritionists, to be as prepared as possible for next season," Solverson said.

Despite its level of preparation, the team will still face challenges in fall 2010.

"Last year getting second in the West has put a target on our backs, and teams know that we are going to come out strong this year," Crouch said.

However, Benson said the team is ready.

"As we go throughout the season and enter SEC competition, keeping it up and staying focused will be a challenge," Benson said. "However, this team has now tasted success and have greater expectations, which they are poised to reach."

Share and discuss “Volleyball Team Set to Attack in New Season” on social media.