Cardio queen Quinn won't quit

Junior Alyssa Murff (left to right), freshman Katie Gauthier and freshman Jerica Pealor follow sophomore instructor Emily Quinn's cardio routine at the Student Activities Center. (Charlie Timberlake / ASSISTANT PHOTO EDITOR)

The perpetually smiling Emily Quinn has been involved in aerobics for many years, including the multitude of workout classes she teaches at the Student Activities Center.

"My mom started to get me interested in aerobics during middle school," Quinn said. "It was a fun way to exercise."

Quinn teaches classes almost every day, including Cardio Plus, a class meant to develop the cardiorespiratory system; Step and Pump, which is mainly step aerobics; and Butts and Guts, which works the abs and legs.

Her Cardio Plus class, in particular, is unique, as it has a fluctuating intensity level that makes the class accessible to anyone.

"One of the good things about the class is how complex the choreography is," Quinn said, "You don't have to be advanced to be a part of it. I start up very basic and gradually build up."

The class has numerous exercises, including jumping jacks, squats, lunges and knee lifts.

"[The class] is a mix of kick boxing with a little bit of dance," Quinn said. "It's a nice mix because it really gets your heart rate up."

The 45-minute class is taught Mondays at 2:45 p.m. in Room 207B in the Recreation Center. Step and Pump is taught Tuesdays at 5:15 p.m. Butts and Guts and Step Aerobics are taught Thursdays at 4:45 p.m. and 5:15 p.m., respectively.

Quinn began teaching her classes after being approached by Jessica Carry, wife of Vice President of Student Affairs Ainsley Carry, who saw talents in her aerobic abilities and suggested she become an instructor. Quinn had to take a course in order to be able to teach.

In addition to teaching her workout classes, Quinn is also involved in other activities, including Lambda Sigma, an honor society for sophomores.

"Last year was pretty crazy," Quinn said. "Time management is tough, but I've learned to manage my time well. I study a bit in between classes and stay off of Facebook. Exercise is my stress reliever, especially yoga. It clears my head."

Quinn, sophomore in art, also spends time painting.

"I really like drawing and photography, and I've done a little bit of sculpting, but mostly painting," Quinn said. "Painting will probably be my concentration. It's what I love."

Quinn has been taking art lessons since she was 10 years old, but it wasn't until her senior year of high school that she considered art as a serious career. Quinn chose to come to Auburn because she considers it to have a high quality art department compared to other schools.

"I actually didn't even apply anywhere else," Quinn said. "I've always kind of wanted to go to Auburn. There's just something about Auburn."

Share and discuss “Cardio queen Quinn won't quit” on social media.