Circuit training works many muscle groups in short time

Forty seconds may sound like a short time, but every moment counts during circuit training at the Student Activities Center.

The class, offered Monday through Thursday at 5 p.m., combines cardio and weight training for a full-body workout.

"It's appealing because it's almost like personal training," said Rob Davis, class instructor and sophomore in hotel and restaurant management. "The class is mostly girls, and a lot of them don't feel comfortable in the weight room, or they don't know what to do. It's also not embarrassing like a dance class can be, where you have to be coordinated."

The class consists of 10 exercise stations.

Participants start at different stations, doing as many repetitions as they can in 40 seconds.

There is a 15-second recovery time to move to the next station.

The goal is to visit each station four times during a class.

"I like that it's intense," said Lindsey Donfrancesco, senior in human resources management. "I used to be on the Auburn soccer team, and we would do circuit workouts like this. It's not like some classes you go to that are really easy."

Amy Feigleson, senior in communication disorders, said she has been going to the class for two years.

"I'm a lot more toned," Feigleson said, "and I feel like my arms are stronger than they have ever been."

The class has exercises for each of the major muscle groups.

"A lot of us hate the mountain climber--it's really hard," Donfrancesco said. "One of the good things about the class, though, is that there is a lot of variety. Every class is different, and it works on everything--cardio, legs, abs and arms."

Donfrancesco said the intensity of the class intimidates some people.

"The first couple of times you come, you're going to be really sore the next day, which actually scares a lot of people away," Donfrancesco said.

Participants control the number of repetitions they do to meet their fitness levels.

Davis said the class is good for college students because it offers personalized attention and a flexible schedule.

"Of course, it's better if you come on a regular basis, but you're not going to fall behind if you miss a few classes," Davis said.

The class routine frequently changes to work muscles differently and meet participant's needs.

"I feel like our teacher is always more personable," Feigleson said, "If you say you want to work a certain part of your body, they'll change it to fit you."

Share and discuss “Circuit training works many muscle groups in short time” on social media.