Overtime nail-biter

Because of the effort given during the Clemson game, senior linebacker Josh Bynes was recognized as Southeastern Conference Defensive Player of the Week.

Bynes accounted for 11 tackles, which are the most by an Auburn player this season.

Bynes leads the Tigers with 23 tackles this season, including two and a half for losses, two pass break-ups and four quarterback hurries.

This is the third straight week an Auburn player has received SEC Player of the Week honors after Nick Fairley and Cameron Newton were recorgized in weeks one and two.

There was not an empty seat in the house Saturday night as 87,451 watched the Auburn Tigers edge the Clemson Tigers 27-24 in overtime.

"That was a very exciting game to say the least," said head coach Gene Chizik. "I told our team that was a God thing. They kept their faith the whole game, and it was one of those games where they just kept fighting."

Clemson worked up a 17-0 lead when sophomore quarterback Kyle Parker hit junior running back Jamie Parker for a 24-yard touchdown pass.

Auburn was able to answer with a 35-yard Wes Byrum field goal before the half.

"You are always trying to figure out who your football team is, and you never know until you get into situations where you've basically embarked on uncharted territory, which is where we were," Chizik said. "We were down two touchdowns at halftime."

Auburn came out firing on all cylinders in the second half.

The Tigers used a 21-point third quarter to take the lead before winning the game because of a missed Chandler Catanzaro field goal attempt for Clemson during overtime.

Auburn and Clemson will meet again in 2011 and 2012.

Next season will continue the rivalry at Clemson during the regular season.

In 2012, the Clemson game will be in Atlanta, Ga. in the Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game to start the season.

"This is a great opportunity for Auburn to play a high-profile game in an outstanding venue at the Georgia Dome," said Auburn athletics director Jay Jacobs. "Atlanta is home to thousands of Auburn alumni, and it's an easy drive for the Auburn family."

The game will have ACC officials and have Auburn as the home team.

"It is rapidly becoming one of the great college football events of each season," said Clemson athletics director Terry Don Phillips. "Playing Auburn in this game that kicks off the college season in Atlanta is a great showcase for our program and our university,"

Share and discuss “Overtime nail-biter” on social media.