Soccer shuts out Samford

Auburn's 2-0 win over Samford Friday night at the Auburn Soccer Complex gave the Tigers a confidence boost before starting SEC play.

Even though Auburn's goals didn't come until the last five minutes, the Tigers dominated almost every aspect of play.

Samford goalkeeper, Alyssa Whitehead, was a bright spot for the Bulldogs with 13 saves.

Auburn had 26 total shots on goal, with eight shots in the first 20 minutes of the game.

Although most of the play took place on Samford's side of the field, Auburn defenders did their job to keep the Bulldogs scoreless.

Auburn's aggressive offense kept Samford defenders on their heels in an effort to stay in the game.

An Auburn shot at minute 11 of the second half looked to be the first score of the game until Whitehead tipped the ball over the crossbar for the save.

The Tigers' speed and agility was evident throughout both halves of play.

Forward Gabi Rivera scored the first goal for the Tigers. Rivera finished the game with three shots and one goal and assisted on the Tigers' second goal.

Both Auburn goals were scored within two minutes of one another in the last five minutes of the game.

Forward Mary Coffed had seven shots on goal for the game, as well as the second score for the Tigers in the 86th minute.

Samford played a better defensive game in the second half than in the first.

Defender Julie King also led Auburn's offense with five shots on goal.

"With it being an inner-state rivalry, a lot of the girls know the other girls," Coffed said. "They brought a lot of intensity to the game, and they played with a lot of heart."

Auburn opens SEC play when it hosts Mississippi State Friday, Sept. 24 at 7 p.m.

Share and discuss “Soccer shuts out Samford” on social media.