Tiger battle on the Plains

LINDEN
LINDEN

The Auburn Tigers return to the Plains this weekend after a well-fought SEC battle in Starkville, Miss.

After putting up great offensive numbers against Arkansas State, many had doubts about the defense.

Many wondered how the Tigers would go into a hostile environment and stop a Bulldogs offense that put up more than 500 yards in its opening game.

The Starkville crowd was loud, the offense struggled, but the defense stepped up and helped secure a 17-14 win.

The struggling offense didn't bother me all that much - We all know that the offense is capable of putting up monstrous numbers.

The Tiger offense has put up 500 yards of offense in five of Gus Malzahn's first 15 games as offensive coordinator. The offense hadn't reached that mark in at least the 40 games prior to his arrival.

It was the defense that had me worried.

Sure, I realized last year's defense consisted of only several starters, some pieces of duct tape, and sticks and stones, but giving up 26 points to Arkansas State didn't seem too convincing either.

On the defensive side of the ball, junior tackle Nick Fairley had the game of his career.

The 6-foot-5 lineman accounted for five tackles, 1.5 sacks, an interception, a recovered fumble and three quarterback hurries.

This marks the second week in a row that an Auburn player earned SEC Player of the Week honors, after quarterback Cam Newton ran off with the honors in week one.

The Tigers now have to turn around and prepare for non-conference rivals, Clemson.

The Clemson Tigers are off to a 2-0 start for the first time since 2007 and are led by sophomore quarterback Kyle Parker.

Parker, who is already tied for sixth on Clemson's all-time passing TDs list with 24, gave up the MLB to come back and lead the Tigers to another possible ACC title game appearance.

Clemson ranks fifth nationally with eight sacks, three coming from junior defensive end Andre Branch.

The keys for Auburn will be to control the line of scrimmage and try to win the field position battle on special teams.

This is easier said than done because Clemson has an outstanding punter in junior Dawson Zimmerman, who leads the nation in punting average with 49.8 yards per punt.

Also, for the sixth time overall and first time since the 2008 LSU game, College GameDay will visit Auburn.

The Tigers have a 5-5 record during GameDay contests and a 3-2 record at home.

Other GameDay visits to Auburn include the 1995 Iron Bowl, the 1997 Florida game, the 2004 Georgia game, and the 2006 Florida game.

The show airs live Saturdays from 8-9 a.m. on ESPNU and 9-11 a.m. on ESPN and will be set up on the east side of Jordan-Hare stadium.

Fans are encouraged to wear blue for a "Blue Out" because Clemson's colors include orange as well.

Check out College GameDay's website at www.collegegameday.com

Follow College GameDay on Twitter @GameDayFootball.

College GameDay's new Facebook page is www.facebook.com/collegegameday

Share and discuss “Tiger battle on the Plains” on social media.