Auburn looks to end losing streak

Jonathan Howard, senior in electrical engineering, drops a can into the Beat Bama bin in the fight against local hunger.  (Elaine Busby / Assistant Photo Editor)
Jonathan Howard, senior in electrical engineering, drops a can into the Beat Bama bin in the fight against local hunger. (Elaine Busby / Assistant Photo Editor)

For 16 years, Auburn has competed against the University of Alabama in a six-week event to raise food for local food banks. This year's drive is in full swing.

The drive encourages students, alumni and local residents to donate nonperishable food items and money to the East Alabama Food Bank in Auburn.

Money can be donated online at www.beatbamafooddrive.com or an automatic $10 can be given by texting "beatbama" to 20222.

Campus organizations can receive spirit points for donating by e-mailing a copy of a receipt, amount donated and organization name to Conor Gattis, cag0009@auburn.edu.

Canned goods and other nonperishable items can be dropped off at local collection bins on campus and all Auburn grocery stores.

"The Beat Bama Food Drive is the largest food drive of the year and has a huge impact on our ability to feed people in need," said Martha Henk, a representative with the East Alabama Food Bank. "It is this food drive that makes the difference of whether or not families have a Thanksgiving dinner."

Although Auburn had a seven-year winning streak beginning in 2000, the University of Alabama has been victorious the past three years.

"We have a lot of new ideas this year that we hope will push us over the top," said Jessica Epperson, sophomore in biomedical sciences and assistant director of the food drive.

One of the new ideas is a silent auction Nov. 12 at the Auburn University Hotel and Conference Center.

"We already have a lot of great items up for bid, like a golfing trip, autographed footballs, Auburn art and themed gift baskets," Epperson said. "We are still looking for items though."

The auction will begin at 5 p.m. and run until 10 p.m. the night before the football game against Georgia and is open to the community.

"We are really trying to get Auburn alumni involved in the food drive with the silent auction," Epperson said. "It gives them a chance to come to Auburn and feel like they are contributing."

Organizations play a large role in the food drive with functions like the Freestyle, Fish and Fun night, held last week by the Black Student Union and the National Pan-Hellenic Council.

The Freestyle, Fish and Fun night is an annual social event held after midterms and involves a freestyle dance competition and freestyle rap battle.

"This year we chose to support the Beat Bama Food Drive, and so we really tried to broadcast the donation aspect of it," said Nicole Bolden, senior in information systems management. "To attend, students either donated a dollar or brought three canned goods, and we had a great turnout this year."

Auburn's goal for this year is 200,000 pounds of food.

"Every student can make a difference to the people right here in Auburn," Epperson said.

But the competition isn't what's important.

"Regardless of which school wins this competition, the real winners are the people who are fed by the programs that receive food from the Food Bank of East Alabama and the West Alabama Food Bank," Henk said.

Share and discuss “Auburn looks to end losing streak” on social media.