Painting the Plains

Minhee Park, sophomore at Auburn High School, admires works by John Miller Gorrie. (Maria Iampietro / Associate Photo Editor)

The art department opened National Arts and Humanities Month Friday at Biggin Hall with a reception and benefit celebrating the art exhibit of John Miller Gorrie, a resident of Birmingham.

The exhibit, "Buildings in Art and Science," featured 16 paintings, most representing buildings and locations from Gorrie's past experiences. Among the places represented were well-known Auburn locations, like Toomer's Corner, Tiger Town and Samford Hall.

We're pleased to give him a professional solo exhibition," said Barb Bondy, the art department's coordinator of exhibitions and lectures.

Charlie Mabry, senior in art and president of the Association of Visual Artists, which hosted the event, welcomed those gathered for the reception.

"This is a great way to kick off the Arts and Humanities Month," Mabry said.

Gorrie, who was in attendance, said he felt inspired and electrified to see all of the people who had come to see his art.

"Nervous, nervous and a little bit more nervous," Gorrie said, describing his reaction to seeing his work on display.

As an artist, Gorrie was encouraged by both his parents.

He said it was his mother who first inspired him to be an artist, while his father sparked his interest in painting buildings and structures.

"That's one thing I do like to do most," Gorrie said of his propensity to paint buildings.

Studio By the Tracks Art Director Daisy Winfrey said it was difficult to define what made Gorrie's work so appealing.

"I think maybe it's kind of deceptively simplistic, in that the more you look at it, the more complex it really is," Winfrey said. "You just start to see all of the underlying details that go into it."

For Bondy, it is this relation of viewpoints that lies at the heart of what the art department wants to accomplish during National Arts and Humanities Month.

"Art is a common ground," Bondy said. "I understand how you can speak this language, this shared language, so as an artist you can communicate with people whose experience is not at all like yours."

The next art exhibit for National Arts and Humanities Month is "The Spring Collection: A Collaboration by Sisavanh Phoutavang and Jarrod Houghton."

The exhibit will run Oct. 11 to Nov. 4. There will be an opening reception for the exhibit at 4 p.m. Oct. 11 at the Biggin Hall gallery.

Share and discuss “Painting the Plains” on social media.