Your View: Editorial was 'uncaring, thoughtless and personally disgusting'

Editor, The Auburn Plainsman

It is quite evident from your recent editorial (Sinister slant of 'Save the Ta-tas,' Oct. 7) that you have never had anyone in your life be diagnosed with breast cancer.

Because if you did, you would re-think your entire little speech bashing the month of October as being nothing but a way for drug companies to make money.

I am a 40-year professor here and a two-time breast cancer survivor who owes my life to being "aware" of breast cancer and the drugs that keep me cancer free.

As with any diagnosis of a condition, fatal or not, there is a risk of a false positive.

And I know that cancer is no exception.

However, for those of us who do get treatment, take the drugs prescribed and have life-saving surgeries, we are all thankful for the fact that people are becoming more aware of the ways to prevent breast cancer with early detection and self-exams.

Your editorial is one of the most uncaring, thoughtless and personally disgusting pieces I have ever read.

To say that "AstraZeneca is to National Breast Cancer Awareness Month what Hallmark is to Valentine's Day" is absolutely absurd.

People buy cards in February because they want to.

People take drugs for cancer to save their life.

How dare you even make the comparison!

We here at Auburn are doing what we can to improve the quality of life for people.

If you think that the focus should be on actual diagnosis and prevention rather than simply raising "awareness," then I suggest that you major in pre-med specializing in oncology if you are concerned at all.

Or better yet, wait until someone you love gets breast cancer, and these drugs you are so adamantly against don't work, and your loved one dies.

We will see what your stance is then!

Karla Simmons

assistant professor,

consumer affairs

Share and discuss “Your View: Editorial was 'uncaring, thoughtless and personally disgusting'” on social media.