Auburn rolls past Chattanooga in homecoming win

The Auburn Tigers improve to 10-0 for the fourth time in school history after defeating Chattanooga 62-24 Saturday afternoon in Jordan-Hare Stadium on Homecoming and senior day.

"Another great win," said coach Gene Chizik. "We look at every week, and wins are hard to come by, so we just feel very lucky."

The win gave Auburn its 19th consecutive homecoming win, extending the longest streak in school history.

The Tigers got off to a quick 7-0 start when junior quarterback Cameron Newton threw a 30-yard touchdown pass to junior wide receiver Darvin Adams on the second play of the game.

"We did what we had to do," Adams said.

Auburn finished the first quarter with 249 yards of total offense and had a commanding 27-0 lead.

By the end of the first half, Newton and senior wide receiver Terrell Zachery each set new career highs for passing and receiving yards.

Newton threw for four touchdowns and 317 yards, making it Auburn's first 300-yard passing game since Brandon Cox threw for 342 yards against Georgia Tech in 2005.

"We had an excellent week of practice in preparing for this team, and Coach Malzahn and the entire offensive coaching staff prepared us for this game," Newton said. "We exploited the weakness of their defense. Those are the numbers we are capable of producing."

Newton's longest completion was an 80-yarder to Zachery at the start of the second quarter.

"It was a slip screen," Zachery said. "I went out and came back in, and I was wide open. Everyone made the big blocks, including Lee Ziemba and Darvin Adams and I just ran down the field."

Zachery finished the game with a career high seven catches for 148 yards and a touchdown.

Auburn will play its last home game of the season next week at 2:30 p.m. as they face the Georgia Bulldogs in the Deep South's Oldest Rivaly.

Share and discuss “Auburn rolls past Chattanooga in homecoming win” on social media.