College of Ag rounds up scholarship funds

Corey Courtwright and Jeremy Pickens, Ph.D. students in fisheries, fry catfish for visitors at the 31st annual Ag Roundup Nov. 6 before the homecoming game. The event's proceeds contribute to scholarships within the college. ( Maria Iampietro / Associate Photo Editor)

Those who came to town for the Homecoming game had the opportunity to experience the Ag Roundup--a large tailgating event that not only provided food, but also raised money to help students pay for college.

Themed a "Taste of Alabama Agriculture," the roundup featured food and products produced throughout the state.

The Ag Alumni Board sponsors the roundup every year as a scholarship fundraiser for the College of Agriculture.

Attendees enjoyed an all-you-can-eat buffet, with corn dogs, sweet potato fries and, despite the frigid temperature, ice cream.

"It is a really fun tailgate every year," said Kate Derby, Ag Council president.

In addition to the $5 admission fee, the roundup also featured silent and live auctions to raise money.

"I'm a senior this year, and I have done the roundup the past few years," Derby said. "It is the most fun event we have. You get to eat really good food, and it's fun to be able to hang out and tailgate with people that you see on a day-to-day basis on a more relaxed level."

Derby said she also enjoyed getting to meet alumni of the College of Agriculture.

About 1,300 people came out to the Alabama Farmers Pavilion before the Homecoming football game.

"We still had a great turnout this year, despite the colder weather and the new location," said Robert Hensarling, director of the Ag Heritage Park.

Hensarling said the tentative amount of money raised this year is $6,500 at the gate and $7,000 from the auction.

"It didn't used to generate as much excitement as it does now," Hensarling said. "It has become a great way to stay engaged with the agriculture community."

The roundup has become one of the most popular tailgates of the year, Hensarling said.

This year, the roundup was moved to the Ham Wilson Livestock Arena, in hopes that it would give the event more exposure and space to expand.

"I think people always have fun trying the food," said Paul Patterson, associate dean for instruction for the College of Agriculture. "The roundup is always a great opportunity for people to learn more about Alabama agriculture."

Patterson said this year's roundup also featured some livestock animals, such as a dairy cows and sheep.

"My favorite part is watching the families and children get the chance to experience all that agriculture in Alabama has to offer," Hensarling said. "The food is beyond imagination."

Share and discuss “College of Ag rounds up scholarship funds” on social media.