Dega's motivation lifts team

Edgard da Gama e Silva is the assistant women's volleyball coach.

His players, along with the rest of Auburn Athletics, affectionately call him "Dega."

He never intended to become a coach while playing for his club team in Brazil.

"My club couldn't give me any money, so they offered me a coaching position for young kids," Silva said. "After two years, the coach for the U14 team resigned in the middle of the season. I covered for him and fell in love with coaching."

Silva graduated from Federal University of Parana in Brazil with a degree in physical education.

He played volleyball in Brazil for 10 years.

He has been coaching the sport for more than 20 years.

"Dega does a great job motivating the team," said senior libero Liz Crouch. "He always stays positive and uses positive reinforcement to drive us to work harder."

Before coming to Auburn in 2008, Silva coached at Eastern Washington University, North Idaho and Washington State University.

"Auburn is different than any other college I've seen," Silva said. "The passion for sports here is amazing."

Silva was first exposed to the profession of coaching as a teenager.

"In my home city in Brazil, our (basketball) coach retired, and we never got a new coach," Silva said. "I was 16 and was asked to help the 12- to 13-year-old team."

He said it was an amazing experience because one of the players became the best athlete in the state a few years later.

"I love to work with people," Silva said. "It is really important to help kids become adults. I also like to improve their talent as players and as people."

A typical day for Silva includes breakfast at 7 a.m., heading to work at about 8 a.m., staying in the office making scouting reports for opposing teams, organizing practice and recruiting.

He leaves for home at about 6 p.m.

"Dega's best qualities as a coach are just being a great person," Crouch said. "He has the kind of attitude and personality that just makes you want to work for him.

"He never has anything bad to say about someone and truly cares about you as a person and as a player."

Silva said one of his favorite aspects of the game is scouting the opponent.

Getting to watch two or three matches per team allows him to pass more information on to the team.

"We have practice from 3 to 6 p.m.," Silva said. "After that, I go home and spend time with my family. We like to watch basketball or any Auburn sport."

Share and discuss “Dega's motivation lifts team” on social media.