Let's stay focused

LINDEN
LINDEN

For those who forgot amidst all the Cameron Newton allegations, the Auburn Tigers face the Georgia Bulldogs this Saturday in the Deep South's Oldest Rivalry.

With a win, the Tigers will clinch the SEC West and play in the SEC title game.

The Auburn-Georgia series is tied with Oregon-Oregon State as the seventh-most played series in the nation.

The two teams first played in 1892 and have continuously played since 1898, except during World Wars I and II.

The Tigers hold a slight edge in the series, which stands at 53-52-8.

Strangely enough, in the past, the visiting team has had the edge.

Auburn has a winning record (18-11) in Athens, while Georgia has a winning record (14-9-2) on the Plains.

The Bulldogs have won five out of its last seven trips to Jordan-Hare, but look for no upset here.

The Bulldogs are coming off a 55-7 thrashing of Idaho State last week, but are still looking for a signature win in a season that has been anything but successful.

With a win, the Bulldogs become bowl eligible, and coach Mark Richt could secure his job for another year.

This is easier said than done.

Once kings of the road, the Bulldogs have now lost four out of its five road games this season and are 4-8 against ranked opponents since 2008.

The best chance the Bulldogs have at a win will be a shootout, since the Bulldogs are averaging 42.8 points per game over its last five games.

This also marks the first time in school history Georgia has scored more than 30 points in five consecutive games.

The Bulldog offense is averaging 240.9 yards per game passing, which ranks 45th nationally, while they rank 61st in rushing.

Georgia freshman quarterback Aaron Murray must have another solid passing performance, since running it up the gut will do them no good.

The Tigers defense ranks 18th nationally against the rush, giving up only 114.6 yards per game.

Special teams will be key for Georgia.

Junior cornerback Brandon Boykin leads the SEC in kickoff returns, averaging 28.6 yards per return.

Assisting Boykin in special teams play are junior punter Drew Butler and junior placekicker Blair Walsh.

Butler ranks second in the league, averaging 45.2 yards per punt while Walsh has made 17 of 20 field goals.

For the Tigers, junior defensive tackle Nick Fairley will once have to be a dominant force.

The 6-foot-5, 298 pound Mobile native leads the SEC with 18 tackles for loss and is second with 7.5 sacks, just a half sack behind Georgia junior defensive lineman Justin Houston.

Fairley's job will be to get plenty of pressure on Murray, preventing the big pass to junior wide receiver A.J. Greene.

Greene has averaged 5.3 catches and 85 yards receiving per game.

As far as the Newton allegations are concerned, I couldn't tell you what's true anymore.

According to ESPN.com, one of the recruiters for Mississippi state said Cameron's father Cecil Newton told him it would take "more than a scholarship" to bring his son to Mississippi State.

Then there are other allegations regarding Cameron Newton cheating several times on tests and or papers while at the University of Florida.

All I know is Newton is innocent until proven guilty, and I hope most Heisman voters will also consider this.

Also, as long as Auburn keeps winning, they'll go to the national title game.

For now, Newton is eligible to play at Auburn. For how long, we'll find out soon enough.

Share and discuss “Let's stay focused” on social media.