Team bonding takes center ice

The burgeoning Auburn ice hockey team has far exceeded the expectations of many in its inaugural season.

After finding themselves as the only SEC school without a hockey team, co-captain Justin Nabors and James Florkiewicz worked diligently last semester to bring the sport back to Auburn after a 27-year hiatus.

The original Auburn ice hockey team was founded in 1980, but lasted only three years before being disbanded.

"Hockey players share a bond that is hard to describe in words," said team captain Anthony Generotti. "I feel that having this team at Auburn University in the South makes this bond even stronger because hockey is not very prevalent in the South. We formed this team to help spread the word of our sport as well as play the game we love for the school we all love."

So far the Tigers have overcome the obstacles typical of many first-year teams.

"Thus far, the season has exceeded my initial expectations," Nabors said, "We have been told many times that for a first year team, we are doing a great job. Normally, first season teams have no wins and minimal amount of players.

"We have been extremely lucky with the amount of talent and determination present in our first team, not to mention enough players to fill three lines and then some. So we have done much better then I had initially expected."

However, Nabors stated that their objective is not to be a good first-year team, but "a good team, period."

SEC hockey teams often have difficulties in starting because of a lack of support, though Nabors believes that last weekend's game at Mississippi State had around 2,800 supporters for the Bulldogs.

The Tigers have had a string of luck when it came to support.

When it was announced that a hockey team would be forming, at least 70 people showed interest in joining. A week after the team Facebook page went up there were over 1,200 fans.

Despite their most recent matches versus Mississippi State and Arkansas being losses, Nabors said he finds the high level of competitiveness in the players to be a sign of a bright future for the team.

"We played to the best of our abilities," Nabors said, "and I was extremely proud to see the continual fight still present in each and every player.

"Even though it isn't reflected on the scoreboard, we played a hard-hitting, good and quality hockey game against a team whose level of play far exceeded our own."

Generotti agrees with Nabors, saying, "Although we did not come away with a win in Tupulo the attitude among the team was very up beat.

"Everyone on the team can see the improvement that we show every time we take the ice."

Hockey is very important to these players, with Generotti having played the sport since he was 8 years old, and Nabors having played it since he was 5.

With the way the Auburn hockey team has been playing thus far, the team members believe that hockey will be important to everyone very soon.

Share and discuss “Team bonding takes center ice” on social media.