Women's basketball struggles against FSU, beats Mercer

Auburn women's basketball took away both a win and a loss in the past four days.

Friday, the Tigers won against Mercer with a final score of 79-61.

Although Mercer landed the first two-point score, Auburn came back with a vengeance when sophomore Blanche Alverson scored a 3-pointer as Auburn's first basket of the season.

Auburn led for the rest of the game, finishing the first half with a 20-point spread of 40-20, and wrapping it up at the finish with an 18-point spread.

The Tigers saw their largest lead just eight seconds before the end of the first period, with a spread of 22 points.

Senior Jordan Greenleaf and senior Alli Smalley dominated the game with highs of 16 points each. Alverson was a crucial scoring player as well, with 11 points for the game.

Monday, the Tigers played a close game against Florida State, ultimately losing with a final score of 67-61.

"Obviously we worked hard to win the game, but we boxed out," said coach Nell Fortner. "I was really proud of the run we made in the first half, it put us up seven at the half, and we just gotta learn how to sustain that and just bear down in the second half."

Alverson was once again a crucial player, leading Auburn with 16 points for the game. Other high-scoring players included Greenleaf and sophomore Morgan Toles, each contributing 15 points.

Control of the game wavered between Auburn and Florida State until the last 60 seconds, which began with a tie of 61-61.

Auburn was called on three fouls in the last minute, and Florida State earned its final six points in foul shots.

"This game will make us better because we'll learn from it," Fortner said.

Auburn will play Duke at home this Thursday.

Share and discuss “Women's basketball struggles against FSU, beats Mercer” on social media.