Athletes inspired by mentor Troy Smith

Troy Smith advises Antonio Goodwin, undeclared freshman and wide receiver for the football team. (Elaine Busby / Assistant Photo Editor)

Troy Smith uses his experience as a former college and pro football player to inspire the student athletes he works with every day.

"Our job is to provide academic support for all the student athletes at Auburn University," Smith said. "We monitor and track with them all the way through to graduation."

Smith explained freshman student athletes are assigned a mentor to help them stay on track with their plan of study.

"Being a student athlete is a lot like a full-time job," Smith said. "We want to see these individuals excel in every part of their life--personally, academically, as well as athletically."

Smith and the other counselors work with the athletes and their coaches, as well as professors, to ensure that they meet the standards set by the NCAA and the SEC.

"Troy is the epitome of the phrase 'putting others ahead of yourself,'" said Jim Rost, associate athletic director. "His primary mission is to help these players become the best people they can be. He's a great, positive presence in the office."

Individual tutoring and group study sessions are provided for athletes to help them keep up with their schoolwork.

"The academic requirements are consistent with every athlete in every sport," Smith said.

Auburn was ranked in the 83rd percentile in athlete graduation rates in 2009 and consistently stays among the top schools in the SEC and the NCAA Bowl Subdivision.

"We take a proactive approach," Smith said. "We have certain objectives for the players to meet, and we act as their coaches in helping them along the way and ensuring that they improve."

Auburn's football team includes 12 players who have already earned their degrees, and four more will graduate in December.

"Any time you see a successful student athlete, the guys playing that already have their diplomas--that's a winner," Smith said.

Smith, a south Florida native, played college football at Jacksonville State University and was drafted by the Buffalo Bills in 1988.

After a year in the pros, Smith turned to his self-proclaimed "zeal for working with young people," to earn a living.

He began working at Auburn 16 years ago, under coach Terry Bowden.

"The phrase that comes to mind for Troy is 'leader,'" said Courtney Brendkus, academic counselor. "He is an inspiration to our student athletes. They can really relate to him because he's been there and done that, and he went to the next level."

Smith said everything at the athletic academic office is done with integrity.

The stereotype of college players earning degrees just by being athletes does not hold true at Auburn.

"A lot of players receive the opportunity to go to college based on football, not their academics," Smith said. "We work closely with those at-risk individuals to make sure they can do more than play football when they leave this place."

Smith said he doesn't care if the player is Cam Newton or a walk-on--they will be treated the same way, and the academic success of every player is the most important goal.

"This is what I enjoy doing: watching young people become educated and getting to empower them," Smith said. "It's gotten to where I almost look forward to coming into work every day. It's a rewarding job in every aspect."

Share and discuss “Athletes inspired by mentor Troy Smith” on social media.