Getting to know the voice of Auburn

Every university has its voice, and Auburn found its own in Rod Bramblett.

Bramblett is now entering his seventh season as the voice for Tiger football and basketball.

Bramblett, who grew up 30 minutes from Auburn in a small town called Valley, knew at an early age sports broadcasting was the field for him.

"I was never really that good at sports, but enjoyed sports and enjoyed listening to the radio," Bramblett said.

Since a lot of his family members were Georgia Bulldogs fans, Bramblett said all the way through high school, the University of Georgia was his first choice, but tuition costs made him look elsewhere.

"I started Auburn and told myself I was going to stay a Georgia fan, but it took all of one football game to get me to come to the good side," Bramblett said. "I've been an Auburn fan ever since."

Bramblett spent four years working in radio before getting a job at WAUD and doing his first play-by-play at Lee Scott Academy in 1990.

"All the broadcasts were tape-delayed back then," Bramblett said. "I had to sit there with a tape recorder, and I'll never forget what happened.

"The first game was against Chambers Academy, and they just put me on top of the press box, stacked a bunch of Coke crates on top of one another and said, 'Here's your table. It's the only space we have for you.' That's the first play-by-play I had."

Bramblett briefly announced for Auburn High School before getting the chance to do play-by-play for Auburn University baseball in 1993 and getting hired full time by the Auburn Sports Network in 1996.

Bramblett said it is a tremendous honor to have graduated from Auburn and announce for Auburn athletics, calling it his dream job.

"People have asked what my next step is going to be, and I say I've got it made," Bramblett said. "I don't know if there is another step. As long as they want me to keep doing it, this is a dream job."

The breathtaking plays have piled up over the years, giving Bramblett plenty of memorable moments.

"It's impossible to narrow it down to one moment or game," Bramblett said. "It really is."

Although Bramblett believes this year cannot yet be thrown in the mix until everything is said and done, the moment that stands out most is the Georgia game.

"The game was over, Auburn won and the people from AU HD put together a composite of this entire season all the way through the Georgia game with our radio calls over the video," Bramblett said.

Bramblett said the reaction from the student section after his comments is something he would never forget.

"That right there is a great example of what we do here really matters to the people that listen," Bramblett said.

Bramblett lives in Auburn with his wife Paula and two children.

"They're the best because they are the ones who allow me to do what I do," Bramblett said. "They are basically my free time, and whenever they let me, I'll get out and play a little bit of golf."

Share and discuss “Getting to know the voice of Auburn” on social media.