Fighting malnutrition in the Phillipines

Jenna McClure, senior in nutrition, feeds one of the 35 children she helped in the Philippines during winter break. (Contributed)

Christmas is a time spent indoors with families and plenty of food, but Jenna McClure celebrated the holidays in Tacloban City, Philippines.

McClure, senior in nutrition, volunteered for four weeks helping children ages 2 to 6 with nutrition.

"Some of the kids are severely malnourished," McClure said. "We guaranteed them at least one meal a day that was well balanced and full of nutrients."

McClure worked alongside Christopher Franks, projects coordinator of Volunteer for the Visayans.

"Our project works on two fronts: first, we provide a six month supplementary feeding program for undernourished preschool children," Franks said. "At the same time, we provide educational seminars for mothers' groups in a number of different environments like schools and social welfare institutes."

Because the project was just beginning, McClure began by assessing the children and picking 35 that were most at risk.

"Of the 35 kids, 23 were in less than the third percentile for weight and less than the fifth percentile for height," McClure said. "Basically these kids that are 6 years old look like they are 3."

McClure was the only volunteer working on the nutrition project, so it was her job to prepare the meals.

"I would plan the meals, go to the market and buy the food, cook it and then serve it to the children," McClure said.

Other volunteers worked on projects with the orphanage or a program to keep children out of the streets.

"Volunteers came from Canada, the United Kingdom, Switzerland, the Netherlands, Denmark and there was one other American," McClure said. "He was from Oregon, so that was pretty funny."

Although she traveled to the Philippines by herself, McClure said she never felt lonely.

"Even though I was only there for a month, the friendships I made are stronger than a lot of the relationships I have made in college," she said. "I think it was because we had a lot in common and were working toward the same goal. We spent the whole day together."

Volunteering overseas also gave McClure a chance to experience a new culture.

"The people are so welcoming. Even though they don't have a lot of money, they would do anything to make you happy," McClure said. "Host parents would sleep on couches and floors so the volunteers could have beds."

Her other unique experience was celebrating Christmas there.

"It was different," she said. "It was 85 degrees so it didn't feel like Christmas. Christmas Eve is their main celebration day.

Family and friends gather for big dinners and just spend the day together."

The Filipino traditions did help set the holiday mood, though.

"Everyone puts up their decorations in August and the parties start Dec. 17," McClure said. "From then until Christmas Eve, children go door to door singing carols."

Dr. Robin Fellers, associate professor of nutrition and one of McClure's professors, applauds her work.

"I think it is very admirable," Fellars said. "She is very enthusiastic about her chosen field. This gave her a unique look at nutritional needs of people in poor countries."

Fellars supports student projects like McClure's that are organized outside of class.

"We encourage students to gain as much knowledge on nutrition issues, but we don't have a structured component for it," Fellars said.

McClure is already planning her next trip and encourages other students to try international volunteering.

"Anybody who wants to volunteer, even if they are not a nutrition major, should go," McClure said. "It was the best experience I ever had."

Share and discuss “Fighting malnutrition in the Phillipines” on social media.