Women's basketball beat LSU, prepare for 'Dawgs

Junior guard Morgan Jennings pulls up for a jump shot against Ole Miss Thursday night. (Tim Simpson / PHOTO STAFF)

Auburn's women's basketball team has been on a roll with big conference wins against Ole Miss and LSU.

The women beat the Ole Miss Rebels 85-73 in Auburn Arena Thursday.

Blanche Alverson had a career-high of 27 points and led the Tigers to a conference win.

The Rebels never led after Auburn had a 13-3 scoring run early in the second half.

"Everything just kind of came together tonight, and I am really happy with the results of the game," said Auburn head coach Nell Fortner.

Eleven other players put up points for the Tigers, and their momentum carried over to the next game.

The women defeated the LSU Lady Tigers 53-65 at home Sunday increasing their record to 11-7 (4-1 SEC).

Auburn battled with LSU the first 15 minutes of the game with six different lead changes, but steadily increased the scoring margin.

Senior guard Alli Smalley scored a layup with 3:42 left in the first and entered Auburn's top-10 career-scoring list with 1,419 points.

"It's a really big honor to accomplish that knowing the great players who have played here before me and even right now," Smalley said. "It's also a tribute to my teammates and our point guard and people who distribute the ball. You cannot do it without them."

The Auburn Tigers went up by 11 and ended the first half leading LSU 32-21.

Alverson opened the second half with a three-pointer, which kept up Auburn's intensity for the rest of the night.

The Tigers played focused throughout the game.

"The intensity and focus on a day-to-day basis and in practice has been a huge role in our improvement as well," Fortner said. "Our hunger and intensity has continued to grow."

Auburn led by as much as 22 points in the second half when LSU responded in the final 2:30, scoring 13 points.

Guarding Auburn seemed to be a challenge for LSU.

The Tigers shot 45 percent from the field and had a total of 36 rebounds in the game.

"We weren't as mentally prepared as we should have been," said LSU sophomore guard Adrienne Webb. "We came in here flat, not ready to play, and it showed in our play today."

The win gave the team a much needed confidence boost before hitting the road.

"It was a great win," said Auburn forward Jordan Greenleaf. "It was another boost of confidence that we needed heading to Mississippi State on Thursday. We played probably the best defense we have played all year, knocked down some shots and came out with a 'W.'"

LSU's head coach Van Chancellor credited Auburn's success to Fortner.

"Nell Fortner did a great job coaching," Chancellor said. "She was 10,000 times a better coach then I was today. Auburn played good. They came out with fire and played hard."

The team travels to Starkville Jan. 20 for its first away game.

"We seem to be getting better and better every game," Fortner said. "We're maturing into a pretty good defensive team."

Share and discuss “Women's basketball beat LSU, prepare for 'Dawgs” on social media.