Condolences from a Duck fan

To the editor:

First--I have to say I'm not a student.

Second--I have to say I'm a Duck fan. With those aside, it should be said that what has happened with Toomer's oaks is a tragedy and shouldn't happen to any school.

We played a great national championship together, and you guys were classy opponents.

There was no terrible ugliness between our schools, and that alone is something to celebrate.

It was also one of the best games in recent memory. A last second comeback by us, an amazing run by Dyer and a last second field goal by you guys? Can a better game be asked for?

So with that, it definitely needs to be said that you guys don't deserve this.

We don't have a tradition as old as those trees.

But we do feel as proud of our school as you all must. And when something like this happens, it is a crime against that pride. People are trying to take it away and diminish it. But they can't, truly. And I guess this comes down to the fact that I--a Duck fan since the day I was born--am proud of you all too.

To be able to stand and rally in the face of something like this takes incredible strength. I wish I could've been at the rally to stand with you all as a sign of respect because I know that I respect you all. And everyone should.

Good luck next season, and I definitely hope that we play again. So, with solidarity, I personally want to wish you all the best and say that I was proud to have the Tigers play us and proud to see how much love you all have for your school.

I hope the trees survive. And good luck next season. Keep faith, be strong. This Duck stands with you in the wake of this sad event.

--Ian H.

Share and discuss “Condolences from a Duck fan” on social media.